Fight for Assembly heating up

[Great article ](https://badgerherald.com/news/2008/10/22/college_republicans_.php)in the Herald today about the College Republicans “getting local” as the election nears. Obviously, when discussing the GOP, “local” must be used in a pretty broad sense, as Republicans have practically no opportunity to influence city politics, but the surrounding area provides a ripe political landscape for the two-party system. Right now the Republicans hold the state assembly by five seats, a margin that could easily vanish in a presidential election year heavily favoring the Democrats. The assembly is truly the thorn in Gov. Jim Doyle’s attempts to push through ambitious health care and education initiatives, so it’s smart for the CRs to concentrate on keeping the majority. However, it’s unlikely there’s much to do to stem the tide of Obamania. In another year Republicans might be able to exploit the state’s anticipated $3 billion deficit but with the economy the way it is, voters are looking favorably towards Democrats in almost all instances.