New York Times against lower drinking age

[The New York Times editorial board](http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/17/opinion/17wed3.html?ref=opinion) has solidified its mainstream position on the drinking age in an article today denouncing the 130 college presidents who form the Amethyst Initiative, a movement in favor of re-examining the 21 minimum drinking age.

The Times predictably asserts the high drinking age has reduced highway casualties. However, what was a little surprising was its citation of research that shows “brains still develop up to age 30.” And? Should we explore raising the drinking age to 31?

The Times makes the absurd claim that binge drinking is the result of low alcohol prices. Think about it — would your weekend follies be curtailed significantly if a 30 of Natty cost $17 instead of $13? While raising the price of cigarettes, for instance, almost certainly affects a user’s behavior, “drinking to get drunk” is one of the guiding principles of campus socialization, and will not be changed by even a significant increase in the price of alcohol. It is simply too popular.