In my defense

Yesterday, Kyle Szarzynski wrote an article in response to an earlier column of mine regarding the subject of illegal immigration. In this response, Mr. Szarzynski accused me of being xenophobic, bigoted and stated that I am most likely the member of a certain race and class based on the opinions present in my earlier statement.

Mr. Szarzynski?s statement reflects a very peculiar sentiment within American society. It is not the sentiment the left-of-center democrat, it is not that of the socialist or the libertarian, nor is it the sentiment of the Republican or the fascist. Rather, it is the bitter rage unleashed by those of all political affiliations who see their most valued principles being left on the wayside of American democracy. It is the hatred of those unwilling to comprehend that there are those who are different not only by virtue of the color of their skin or the wealth of their parents or the foundations of their faith, but by the nature of their convictions.

Mr. Szarzynski states that I am most likely the member of a certain race ? yes, I am white. Mr. Szarzynski states that I am most likely the member of a certain class ? yes, my father is a wealthy man. I am, and always have been, honored to be his son.

Yet despite the accuracy of Mr. Szarzynski?s accusations, neither my race nor material achievements that are not my own can stand as arguments against my legitimacy, for it is by a man?s ability to defend his ideas that they will be judged, not through the lens of color and money.

So let it be clear.

Let it be clear at this moment, that for the rest of my time at this paper, I will never be so arrogant as to believe I can ascertain the nature of another person?s character based off of the foundation of one opinion defended by reasoned argument.

Let it be clear that I know my enemy. It is intolerance in every form. It is the intolerance of ideas as well as appearance. It is the zealous conviction that all those who oppose one?s vision of progress must be bigots, that they must be criminals against the human race, that they must be a manifestation of evil. It is the intellectual arrogance that festers into political tyranny.

I am honored to have an intellectual opponent so firm in his beliefs as yourself, Mr. Szarzynski, but I recommend you avoid the slippery slope of human character ? lest you reveal more about yourself than those you have pledged to oppose.