LIVE BLOG: Wisconsin vs. Minnesota Game 2

Welcome to the Badger Herald live blog. I’m Brett Sommers, Statistics
Editor at the Badger Herald, and I will be bringing you all of tonight’s game two hockey action between Wisconsin and No. 1 ranked Minnesota from the Kohl Center.

Last night was just the latest example of the UW-Madison campus proving too difficult for a number one ranked opponent. Minnesota had been on a four-game winning streak prior to the Badgers 3-1 victory and had only one previous loss on the season. With the effort of a three -goal second period and probably UW’s most consistent game of the season, Wisconsin was in control from start to finish.

Freshman goaltender Joel Rumpel earned his first Friday night start of the season last night, and according to tonight’s tentative lineup card, Rumpel has also earned the start in tonight’s game as well. Rumpel was simply outstanding against one of the best offenses in college hockey, not yielding a goal until Minnesota cashed in a power play goal with just over a minute to go in the game.

Stay tuned for all of tonight’s action and see if the Badgers can sweep the number one team in the country.