Geoffrion ready for first full pro season

“Hello out there, we’re on the air it’s hockey night tonight.” Well at least tomorrow
night it is in Milwaukee for the Admirals at the Bradley Center. It isn’t just any
hockey game though. Former UW men’s hockey star Blake Geoffrion will be taking the ice at the home opener.

In his senior year as a Badger, Geoffrion gave the record books something to remember him by. He was the first UW hockey player to win the Hobey Baker award, which is given to the most talented college hockey player. Geoffrion was also nominated for an ESPY, was named USA Hockey’s College Player of the Year, became a First-Team West All-American and was named Most Valuable Player of the West Regional when he helped the Badgers to their successful games against St.Cloud State and Vermont, notching two goals and three
assists in the two games. 

Geoffrion was third in the nation for goals scored, with 28. He had the most power-play tallies in the country, with 15, and was a tri-captain for the Badgers 2009-
2010. He also had 22 assists- all in 40 games. 

In 2006 he was drafted by the Nashville Predators as their first pick in the NHL Entry Draft, taken in the second round. On June 15th, 2010 it was announced that Geoffrion was signed an entry-level contract with the Predators. Recently, on September 27th 2010 the Predators announced that Geoffrion was assigned to the club’s AHL affiliate, the Milwaukee Admirals.

Geoffrion helped lead the Badgers to the championship hockey game in Detroit
last season against Boston College. It was a difficult game and the Badgers couldn’t pull off the win, falling 5-0. After his Badger hockey days had come to
an end in Michigan, the Milwaukee Admirals were in a battle for the Calder Cup in the AHL playoffs against the Chicago Wolves. Geoffrion was immediately signed to an amateur try-out contract (ATO) less than a week after the NCAA championship game.

Sure enough, Geoffrion continued to impress fans. During his first home game of
the series he showed off his sniper-like skill. He rifled the puck past Peter Mannino
of the Chicago Wolves with a wrist shot, straight to the top of the net for his first
professional goal. Mannino was soon replaced by Drew MacIntyre to tend the net
but that didn’t stop Geoffrion. His second goal was scored against MacIntyre, who
sprawled himself out to deny the shot. The Admirals defeated the wolves 6-0.

A day later in Game 4 of the series, Geoffrion was checked hard into the boards by
the south goal at the Bradley Center, just seconds after getting on the ice. The hit,
which looked like a backcheck, seemed like a cheap shot by defensive player and
assistant captain Nathan Oystrick of the Wolves. It appeared to be intentional, almost like a rough “welcome to the pros” type of hit. The Bradley Center grew quiet and most thought it was going to be a season ending injury.

Geoffrion had to be helped off the ice. Luckily it was only a sprain, but he did not
return to partake in the series, which the Admirals lost to the Wolves.

The puck drops at the Bradley Center 7 p.m. tomorrow as the Admirals take on the
Abbotsford Heat.