Breaking down baseball: Baltimore Orioles

Baltimore will have to wait yet another season to battle it out for the division, as each and every team in the AL East simply has too much talent for Baltimore to finish the season in any position besides dead last.

Offense

While the Orioles have little hope of contending this season, a slew of young, solid players give them some hope for the future.

The Orioles’ youth starts with Adam Jones, the center fielder who tore up the first half of the season last in 2009.

The 24-year-old hit 19 home runs and drove in 70 RBIs in his second season in the majors, while hitting .277 for the year. He has started the season off slowly (just like the rest of his team), but look for Jones to continue developing his power while taking advantage of his natural speed.

When Matt Wieters was brought up from the minors last season, he was the most highly touted catching prospect since, well, ever. Wieters is hitting .345 this season and appears to be finding his power stroke. While it is unlikely that he will continue hitting for such a high average, it is not impossible that in a year or so he is battling it out with Joe Mauer as one of the two best catchers in the game.

Nick Markakis, who hit 18 home runs with 101 RBIs last season, is the most consistent batter in the Orioles’ lineup. A .300 hitter, Markakis’ numbers have been about the same since he entered the league.

The only question is how high his ceiling is. He has been good, but has not improved significantly over the years. This season will shine a light onto whether Markakis will become a true All-Star.

Felix Pie, the speedy outfielder starting his second season with the Orioles, is looking to prove that he can be an everyday starter in the majors. He failed in his first stint in Chicago, but seems to have found a home in Baltimore. This season will play an important role in his future with the team.

Ty Wigginton, who hit 11 home runs last season, will start in place of Brian Roberts at second base, Garrett Atkins at first, Cesar Izturis will start at short, and Miguel Tejada, in his second stint with Baltimore, will start at third.

Pitching

The Orioles rotation is sadly thin, with Kevin Millwood stepping in as the club’s ace. Millwood won 13 games last season with the Rangers, having a strong season while keeping his ERA under 4.00 for the first time since 2005. He represents the best arm on the Orioles’ staff.

Jeremy Guthrie, who won 10 games in 2009 but lost 17, will pitch in the two-spot for Baltimore. Already 0-2 this season, look for him to continue being one of the league leaders in losses.

Brian Matusz, a 23-year-old in his first full season in the rotation, has decent stuff and the ability to strike batters out frequently (15 in two starts). Look for Matusz to be one of the few bright spots on the staff for Baltimore this season as he contends for AL Rookie of the Year.

Brad Bergesen, who won seven games last season, will pitch fourth for the Orioles, and David Hernandez will start in the fifth spot.

Prediction

Baltimore has some young talent that could change the mindset of the team just as it happened in Tampa Bay. Unfortunately, they are still a few years away.

The Orioles simply do not have enough pitching or a veteran presence to put together enough wins to challenge the Yankees and Red Sox, not to mention the Rays and the Blue Jays.

Jones, Wieters, and maybe even Pie will make strides this season, but the Orioles will be nowhere close to making the playoffs, or even putting together a .500 season.

The Orioles will remain in last in the AL East, but will continue to develop as they prepare for future seasons to come.