LIVE BLOG: Badger basketball at Northwestern

While a trip to Evanston is never easy for Wisconsin in any sport, tonight’s matchup at Welsh-Ryan Arena certainly did not look too imposing when the season began.

Add a wrist injury to starting forward Jon Leuer and the contest between the Badgers and Wildcats becomes all the more interesting.

While Northwestern will look to steal one from a team that appeared to be among the elite in the conference in knocking off then-No. 4 Purdue, an under-manned Wisconsin squad will hope to prove it’s still just as strong a team without the 6-foot-10 native of Long Lake, Minn.

The Wildcats are no stranger to injuries as star senior forward Kevin Coble went down early in the season with a foot injury and will not return to the NU lineup this season. Of course, the Bo Ryan-coached Badgers are familiar with big injuries as well.

Just three years ago, one of UW’s best teams in history was knocked out in just the second round of the NCAA Tournament after Brian Butch went down with an elbow injury.

Ryan and Co. have appeared unfazed by the injury in practice and interviews this week, but tonight’s road matchup will be the first true test of the team’s mettle following the devastating wrist injury suffered by Leuer.

Please join Managing Editor Michael Bleach and Sports Editor Jordan Schelling as they provide live blog coverage of the action tonight as No. 13 Wisconsin battles the Northwestern Wildcats at Welsh-Ryan Arena.