Winter Carnival weekend in Houghton: Wisconsin vs. Michigan Tech

**8:34–FINAL SCORE: UW 1, MTU 1**
Wisconsin had a few good chances near the end of overtime but couldn’t capitalize. They’ll earn a point tonight and will hit the ice again tomorrow at 4:00 p.m. CT.

**8:23–End of 3rd period: UW 1, MTU 1**
We’ll have five minutes of overtime here. Shot totals after three: UW 21, MTU 19.
The latter part of the third period was realtively clean, with no penalties after one on McDonagh just seven minutes into the period.
Stay tuned for the final after overtime.

**8:08–UW GOAL: KYLE TURRIS**
Turris fired a shot from the point that found its way through traffic. MTU’s Teslak didn’t see the puck, as he was screened perfectly. Assists to Aaron Bendickson and Jamie McBain. The goal completely changed the momentum here, as UW has been playing well the entire third period and was finally rewarded for its efforts.

After the goal, the Badger faithful here started the “sieve” chant, directed at Teslak.

**UW 1, MTU 1**

**7:35**–**End of second period: MTU 1, UW 0**
Wisconsin has 10 shots on goal through two, MTU has 11. Michigan Tech will start the third period on an extended 5-on-3, as McDonagh and Klubertanz were penalized late in the second; 1:22 remains on McDonagh’s penalty and 1:48 on Klubertanz’s.

**7:16**–**MICHIGAN TECH GOAL: Bennet Royer**
Royer scored after UW was unable to clear the puck behind the net. Eric Kattelus passed the puck across the crease, where Royer had a wide-open left side of the net.

**7:07**–Pep band just played “Sesame Street.” Don’t think you’ll see Mike Leckrone play that at UW.

**6:59**–There’s a decent number of Badger fans here, and they just got the “Let’s go Red!” chant going right before the start of the second period. (A few of them even did the Hot Time dance before the opening faceoff.)

**6:42**–End of 1st: UW 0, MTU 0
Plenty of penalties here in the opening period, but no scoring. Wisconsin failed to capitalize on a 5-on-3 power play twice, and will begin the second shorthanded after a Patrick Johnson penalty.

**6:26**–The MTU pep band has had a wide array of songs so far: the Family Guy theme and 50 Cent’s “P.I.M.P.”, to name a few.

**6:20**–McBain’s back on the ice, and appeared to have a goal but it wasn’t called. No review on the shot, either. Badgers might be getting shorted on this one.

**6:10**–Jamie McBain is down on the ice after colliding near the Michigan Tech blueline. We’ll update on his status, but right now it looks like a leg injury. He skated to the bench with a little help and headed back to the locker room under his own power, so we’ll see if he comes back to play.

**5:37 ET**–We’re here at MacInnes Student Ice Arena in Houghton, Mich., for the WCHA series between the Wisconsin Badgers (12-11-5, 8-9-3) and the Michigan Tech Huskies (10-12-4, 6-9-3).

The Badgers are coming off their first loss in six games, as they fell 2-1 in overtime to Minnesota-Duluth. They are currently tied for fourth with UMD in the conference after splitting last weekend’s series. The Huskies picked up just one point last weekend against Alaska Anchorage, losing 4-0 Friday and tying 2-2 Saturday.

The Michigan Tech Pep Band is starting off with a song very similar (actually, it’s the same just with different drum beats) with about 20 minutes to go before game time. Their attire consists of yellow and black striped overalls. An interesting look. And according to the PA announcer here, they’re “world-famous.”

MacInnes Arena is quite a different atmosphere from the Kohl Center. Only seats about 4,000, with seating on the sides only. No jumbotron here, so the fans are short on luck if/when they decide to chant “Show the replay.”

This weekend is also the Winter Carnival here in Houghton, where MTU students make giant snow sculptures. According to the woman at the front desk of our hotel, they even skip class and work around the clock to complete the masterpieces. Hopefully we’ll have some pictures of them tomorrow.

The Huskies certainly seem to play at their best during Winter Carnival, as they are 58-29-9 all-time during games held the same weekend. Wisconsin hasn’t fared so well here during the Carnival, going just 2-4 in three series.

Stay tuned as the puck drops in just under 20 minutes.

**3:30**–Hagstrom and I checked into our hotel ([Scott’s Superior Inn](http://www.westernup.com/scotts/)) up here in Ontonagon, Mich. We’re leaving soon for Houghton for the hockey series between the Wisconsin Badgers and the Michigan Tech Huskies as well as Michigan Tech’s Winter Carnival.

In the meantime, here’s a few pictures of the UP and our hotel.

View image

Scott’s Superior Inn, Ontonagon, Mich.

View image

Haggy in the hotel room

View image

Pink towels

View image

The lobby

View image

Brutus the bear, weighs more than 600 pounds (weighed, rather)

View image

We were there not more than 15 minutes and we managed to break the window

View image

Game room, complete with foosball and arcade games

View image

No love for the Badgers from Huskies fans

View image

MacInnes Student Ice Arena, home of the Michigan Tech Huskies

View image

Only in the UP…