Wisconsin game blog

12:49 From Williams Arena in Minneapolis, Minn., it’s The Badger Herald’s Extra Points blog of today’s Wisconsin vs. Minnesota game.

The Badgers come into the game alone in second place in the Big Ten with a 7-1 conference record (17-3 overall). The Gophers are 3-4 in the Big Ten, 13-6 overall.

Records aside, it should be a very good game today. Minnesota has played Indiana and Michigan State ? two of the Big Ten’s elite teams ? to five points here in what they call “The Barn.”

As far as the building goes, it’s probably one of the cooler venues I’ve been in. They did a great job remodeling this old building to mesh the history with modern amenities. It really has a feel like the UW Fieldhouse, except with chairs instead of the wooden benches. Of course, the most recognizable feature of the stadium is its raised floor. As I write this from press row, my computer is actually below floor level. It really gives you a unique perspective.

We’re just about ready for the game. Updates will come during media timeouts.

1:02 Starting lineups for today’s game:

Minnesota
F-Dan Coleman
F-Damian Johnson
C-Spencer Tollackson
G-Lawrence Westbrook
G-Lawrence McKenzie

Wisconsin
F-Brian Butch
F-Marcus Landry
F-Joe Krabbenhoft
G-Trevon Hughes
G-Michael Flowers

1:04 They sure love Tubby Smith here. Even though the coach is in his first season, he got a standing ovation from the crowd and a watch for winning his 400th career win last time out, despite the fact 387 of those came coaching teams not named the Gophers.

1:13 Under 16 timeout comes with 15:56 remaining in the first half. Wisconsin leads 9-2 thanks to seven quick points by Marcus Landry. He picked up a charging foul on his last basket, but the officials ruled he has let the ball go before he made contact, so the basket counted.

Tollackson has forced two Butch turnovers so far and Greg Stiemsma is subbing in for him. The Gophers have had some looks inside, but not much is falling right now.

1:22 19-8 with 11:28 left in the first. It should be 20-8, but the scoreboard only credited Michael Flowers with two points for a shot his feet were clearly behind the line for. The officials look like they could be talking it over and possibly correcting the error.

Butch hit a three with the shot clock running down the last time the Badgers had the ball, eliciting a roar from the pockets of Wisconsin fans in here. When we went to timeout, those same fans made themselves known again.

The Flowers shot was corrected, so it is officially 20-8 UW.

1:33 29-14 UW, 7:20 left in the game.

One of the great things about sitting courtside for basketball games as opposed to the press box for football games is you get to hear the fan reaction to calls much better. Flowers just got decked by Westbrook in a play where both players were going for the ball. The officials called a foul on Westbrook, which was probably the right call. That didn’t satisfy the elderly lady sitting behind press row, however, who chastixed the ref for being “a jerk.”

1:38 31-21 Wisconsin after a quick 11-2 run by Minnesota. Bo Ryan calls a timeout.

1:41 3:52 left in the first half, still 31-21 Wisconsin. The Badgers just turned the ball over with a shot clock violation, however, so the Gophers will have a chance to burrow further into the lead.

1:50 The Badgers withstood the Gophers run and lead 39-26 at halftime. leading scorers for the Badgers are Marcus Landry and Trevon Hughes with 11 each.

This one’s shaping up to be a dog fight in the second half, which is fitting, because the halftime show was a dog show. Seriously, one of the most strange halftime shows I’ve ever seen.

2:13 The Badgers have built on their lead since the break and now lead 45-25 with 15:44 left. Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith was so unhappy with his team’s play early in the half that he subbed out all five of his players at once right before the media timeout.

2:24 Wisconsin comfortably in control 47-30 with 11:27 left in the game. The Badgers have been a little sloppy lately, with a couple careless turnovers, the latest coming when Flowers dribbled the ball off his foot and out of bounds.

2:31 Badgers still with the game well in hand, up 16 at 48-32. For the second straight game, Wisconsin is really doing a good job defensively. The Gophers will need to really start scoring if they hope to finish with more than 50 points today.

2:34 50-34 with just one second less than eight minutes to go in the second half. Tollackson hasn’t played at all since Smith subbed him out about 10 game minutes ago. He wasn’t injured when he left the court, so It looks like Smith is just going with some other people and seeing what they can go.

Just in case anyone was wondering, Minnesota is still, in fact, spelled MINN-ES-OTA. Don’t believe me, ask the fans here. They’d be more than happy to give you a spelling lesson.

2:44 Wisconsin up 16, 56-40, with 3:51 left in the game. Flowers left the court after a loose ball with an apparent elbow injury. I’m not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but it looked like it might have been a dislocation the way he was holding it. I’ll check on his status after the game. Things are starting to get a little chippy as the Gophers are getting desperate.