Bielema releases statement

Head coach Bret Bielema released a statement today through the athletic communications about the recent coaching changes.

*On Bob Palcic leaving for UCLA:* “Part of having success as a football program is having good coaches. Those coaches sometimes move on to positions with other programs or teams. I appreciate the work Bob did here at Wisconsin and I wish him and his wife, Theresa, well at UCLA.

“I know that the assistant coaches I hire may leave our program at some point and I have a plan in place when they do. That is the case with Coach Palcic’s position and when the time is appropriate and university policies allow, I will make that announcement.”

*On when he plans to name replacements:* “Personnel decisions in our program are made when the time is appropriate. They are not made in response to media speculation, anonymous sources, rumors or gossip – all of which has been in great supply in recent days.”

Bielema also confirmed what ESPN.com has been reporting for a couple days now that Jack Ikegwuonu will forgo his senior year to enter in the NFL Draft

*On defensive back Jack Ikegwuonu:* “I can confirm that Jack Ikegwuonu, who just completed his fourth year with our program, has informed me that he will forgo his senior year and make himself available for the 2008 National Football League Draft.”