Bowl and Season Wrap Up

With LSU’s win in the National Champion game last night the wild and crazy 2007 college football season has come to an end. I thought I would look back at how Wisconsin and the rest of the Big Ten faired during the bowl season. The Big Ten went 3-5 in the bowls this year with Purdue, Michigan, and Penn State getting wins and Wisconsin, Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan State and Indiana all losing.

Despite the losing record in the bowl games the Big Ten still had four schools ranked in the AP top 25. Ohio State (5), Michigan (18), Illinois (20), and Wisconsin (24). Big Ten schools faired a little better in the coaches' poll with five teams in the top 25: Ohio State (4), Illinois (18), Michigan (19), Wisconsin (21), and Penn State (25).

In other news, ESPN’s Len Pasquarelli is [reporting](http://http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/news/story?id=3185718) that junior cornerback and two-time All Big Ten Jack Ikegwuonu has declared himself eligible for the NFL Draft. Scouts are projecting Ikegwuonu as high round first day selection in this year’s draft.

Besides replacing Ikegwuonu next year, head coach Bret Bielema will have to make some changes on his coaching staff. The Capital Times has reported that offensive line coach Bob Palcic has decided to join new UCLA head coach Rick Neuheisel’s staff in the same capacity. Also The Journal Sentinel today reported that Bielema has fired defensive coordinator Mike Hankwitz after the Badger’s defense failed to live up to expectations this year. Bielema might also have to replace offensive coordinator Paul Chryst who The Journal Sentinel reported has an offer to replace Joe Tiller. Tiller has been rumored to be thinking about retiring either this season or after next season and Purdue wants Chryst to take over when ever that time comes.