Wisconsin-Michigan game blog

We’re getting close to gametime here at Camp Randall for the Wisconsin-Michigan game. UW’s senior day introductions have just concluded, and in a cool moment, injured wide receiver Luke Swan threw away his crutches and hobbled out to meet his parents.

Wisconsin has won the toss and chose to receive the opening kickoff.

11:03 David Gilreath takes the opening kickoff three yards deep in the endzone and returns the ball to the 34-yard line.

11:05 Zach Brown starts the game at running back. P.J. Hill’s status has been in doubt all week, but the sophomore is in uniform on the sidelines.

11:08 Wisconsin’s drive stalls out and the Badgers are forced to punt. Ken DeBauche’s punt goes into the endzone and the Wolverines will take over at the 20-yard line.

11:10 Michigan’s offense starts out without their top running back either. Instead of Mike Hart, Carlos Brown begins the game as the Wolverines’ featured back. Carlos Brown has looked good, with gains of 17 and eight yards already on the drive.

11:14 When quarterback Chad Henne’s third down pass falls incomplete, the Wolverines are forced to punt. David Gilreath calls for a fair catch at their own 18-yard line.

11:17 Paul Hubbard makes up for a first down block in the back penalty by making a nice 26-yard reception out to the 34-yard line.

11:21 Wisconsin fails to gain any more yards and is forced to punt again. Michigan’s Greg Mathews returns the punt 10 yards to the 28-yard line.

11:25 After a 12-yard completion on Michigan’s first play of the drive, Carlos Brown picks up six yards on the next play.

11:26 Chad Henne’s pass intended for Adrian Arrington is intercepted by Shane Carter. Wisconsin takes over at their own 45-yard line.

11:31 On an option play, Lance Smith gains seven yards. Michigan is assessed a 15-yard personal foul penalty for a clothesline tackle, and Wisconsin now has the ball at the 19-yard line.

11:32 Donovan fakes a handoff to Smith and lofts a long pass across the field to a wide-open Travis Beckum in the endzone for a touchdown.

PAT good. 7-0 Wisconsin, 3:49 left in the first quarter.

11:36 Michigan returns the kickoff to the 36-yard line. Freshman quarterback Ryan Mallett is now in for the Wolverines.

11:39 On third and a couple inches, Brandon Minor gains four yards for Michigan and gives the Wolverines a first down at their own 44-yard line.

11:44 Mallett is sacked on third down by Kirk DeCremer and Jonathon Casillas. Gilreath returns Michigan’s punt 10 yards to the 25-yard line.

11:49 Donovan connects with Beckum on the final play of the first quarter for a 34-yard completion down to the Michigan 30-yard line.

11:53 Donovan rolls to his right and picks up 11-yards and a first down on a quarterback keeper.

11:55 The Badgers can’t convert on third down from mthe 11-yard line and Taylor Mehlhaff heads out to attempt a 27-yard field goal.

The kick is good. 10-0 Wisconsin, 12:46 remaining in the second quarter.

11:58 Mehlhaff’s kickoff bounds through the endzone for a touchback.

12:00 Brandon Minor is stuffed for a loss of three yards by UW linebacker Elijah Hodge.

12:01 DeCremer and Nick Hayden combine to sack Mallett for a loss of seven yards. Michigan punts again and Gilreath fair catches the ball at the UW 40-yard line.

12:05 Donovan escapes pressure and picks up 18 yards down to the Michigan 38-yard line on third and seven.

12:08 Donovan completes a 24-yard pass in traffic to Beckum down to the five-yard line.

12:12 Donovan keeps the ball on a roll out and dives to the pylon for a touchdown.

PAT is good. 17-0 Wisconsin.

12:19 Michigan is marching down the field, with the ball inside the 10-yard line thanks to a simultaneous catch ruling that took what appeared to be an interception away from Ben Strickland.

12:20 Mallett completes a quick pass to Manningham who slips past Ikegwuonu and races to the endzone for a touchdown.

PAT good. 17-7 Wisconsin, 4:30 remaining in the first half.

12:21 Fullback Bill Rentmeester returns the kickoff out to the 35-yard line where Wisconsin will take over.

12:23 Donovan somehow escapes pressure through a series of spin moves and hits Beckum for a first down completion on third and eight.

12:27 Lance Smith cuts upfield on a dime and picks up 11 yards down to the 14-yard line.

12:28 A holding penalty on Gabe Carimi wipes out a 12-yard Zach Brown run that would have given the Badgers a first and goal on the 2-yard line. Instead, Wisconsin now faces first-and-20 from the 24-yard line.

12:31 Carimi’s holding penalty comes back to haunt Wisconsin, as the Badgers can’t convert a long-yardage set of downs. Michigan calls a timeout before Mehlhaff’s 40-yard field goal attempt.

12:33 Mehlhaff’s kick from the right hash mark is good.

20-7 Wisconsin, 15 seconds remaining in the first half.

12:34 The kickoff goes through the endzone for a touchback.

12:35 Mallett takes a knee and Michigan lets the clock run out on the first half.

Halftime, 20-7 Wisconsin.

12:58 Mehlhaff boots away the opening kick of the second half. Carlos Brown returns the ball to the 17-yard line.

1:00 Ben Strickland blitzes untouched off the corner and hurries Mallett into a bad pass and Michigan into a punt.

1:03 The Wolverines punt is short and hits UW’s Niles Brinkley in the back. Michigan recovers the loose ball at the UW 38.

1:05 On third down, Nick Hayden knocks down Mallett’s pass and Michigan is forced to punt. The kick goes into the endzone for a touchback.

1:09 Welcome to the game, P.J. Hill. the sophomore enters the game for the Badgers and gains seven yards on his first carry. Hill may see time in the second half as Lance Smith will miss the rest of the game with a shoulder injury.

1:12 Out of a power backfield featuring fullbacks Chris Pressley and Bill Rentmeester, the latter picks up three yards for a first down on third-and-one.

1:13 Kyle Jefferson takes an end-around and picks up 10 yards to the 41-yard line.

1:16 Donovan connects with Hubbard for a 15-yard completion down to the Michigan 20-yard line.

1:18 Donovan finds one of his favorite targets, Beckum, for a first down inside the seven-yard line.

1:19 Hill dives into a pile at the two-yard line and wiggles his way down to the one.

1:20 Hill is stuffed again on third down, forcing Wisconsin to attempt a 19-yard field goal, which Mehlhaff drills.

23-7 Wisconsin, 4:46 remaining in the third quarter.

1:21 That last field goal drive for the Badgers was a 16-play drive that took up more than eight minutes of the third quarter. Wisconsin now holds a 25:31-14:43 advantage in time of possession.

1:23 Mehlhaff booms another touchback for Wisconsin. Michigan will take over at the 20-yard line.

1:27 Third and one for Michigan…

1:28 Mallett completes a short pass to Manningham for five yards and a first down.

1:30 Mallett misfires on second and third downs and Michigan is again forced to punt. Gilreath fair catches the kick at the 23-yard line.

1:33 Donovan hands to Zach Brown, who pushes a pile of Michigan defenders forward for five yards and a first down.

1:34 Brown picks up four yards as the third quarter winds to a close.

23-7 Wisconsin.

1:39 Wisconsin fails to convert on third down and DeBauche comes in to punt. His kick is downed at the two-yard line by Jack Ikegwuonu.

1:41 On third-and-nine from the three-yard line, Mallett hits Manningham on a slant route that the receiver takes 97-yards for a touchdown. Shane Carter took a bad angle to the tackle and gave Manningham an angle to break free.

1:45 Gilreath returns the ensuing kickoff 21-yards to the 30-yard line.

1:46 Wisconsin quickly faces a third-and-11, which it fails to pick up when Donovan’s middle screen pass to Garrett Graham is knocked down. DeBauche’s punt is returned six yards to the Michigan 38.

1:51 Under heavy pressure, Mallett heaves a pass long downfield into the waiting arms of Shane Carter for another interception.

1:54 Zach Brown picks up 12 yards on a spinning power run off the left side.

1:56 The Badgers don’t do anything after Carter’s interception and DeBauche is called on to punt again. Michigan will take over at the 14, following a return of one yard by Greg Mathews.

2:00 Mallett scrambles for five yards. After sliding to the ground, Mallett was hit by DeAndre Levy, who was flagged for a 15-yard late-hit penalty.

2:03 About to be sacked on third down, Mallett lateralled the ball to tight end Carson Butler, who escaped the rush and gained 16 yards and a first down at midfield.

2:04 Ikegwuonu is whistled for a holding penalty in the secondary, giving Michigan 10 yards and another first down.

2:05 Brandon Minor picks up 14 tough yards and a first down for Michigan at the 32-yard line.

2:07 Mallett finds a diving Arrington in the back corner of the endzone for a touchdown.

PAT good, 23-21 Wisconsin, 7:31 remaining in regulation.

2:10 Donovan hits Hubbard for a big gain into Michigan territory. Donovan is shaken up on the play after taking another big hit.

Television shows Donovan’s hand is already very swollen and discolored. Allan Evridge is now in at quarterback.

2:14 Wisconsin faces a third-and-13 following a false start penalty.

2:15 Evridge’s pass attempt to Beckum falls incomplete, bringing up fourth down and a DeBauche punt. The punt is fair caught at the 12-yard line.

2:17 A holding penalty on Michigan is declined after a Wisconsin sack and loss of 20, giving Michigan a third-and-29.

2:19 Mallett’s third down pass is intercepted by Ikegwuonu and the Badgers have the ball at the Michigan 33.

Media is now being ushered down to the field for post-game interviews. A full report of the final minutes will up after interviews.

Wisconsin leads 23-21 with 4:30 remaining.

4:03 Zach Brown punched in two touchdown runs in the final three-plus minutes to extend the Wisconsin lead to the eventual 37-21 final.

For the game, Wisconsin held Michigan to a paltry 47 yards rushing and the defense registered four sacks totaling 37 yards lost.

The win moves Wisconsin to 8-3 (4-3 Big Ten) and Michigan to 8-3 (7-1 Big Ten).