Wisconsin vs. Indiana game blog

11:10 A little bit of a delayed start to the blog because of technical issues, but Wisconsin has the ball to start the game and has driven into Indiana territory thanks to hard running from P.J. Hill and Zach Brown.

11:13 The Wisconsin drive stalls out at the 25-yard line after an incomplete pass intended for Travis Beckum. Mehlhaff’s 41-yard field goal sneaks through the uprights and UW leads 3-0.

11:16 Mehlhaff’s kick is returned to the 15-yard line, where Indiana will take over.

11:22 After an incomplete pass and a loss of one on a run, Indiana’s Kellen Lewis airmails his receiver and Indiana is forced to punt.

11:23 The punt bounces to a stop at the 48-yard line of Wisconsin, 1st-and-10 UW.

11:27 P.J. Hill spins his way down to the 10-yard line as Wisconsin is driving inside the Indiana red zone.

11:28 Zach Brown dives up the middle down to the three-yard line, where Wisconsin has a first down.

11:30 Hill plows his way for two yards down to the one. Third and goal for Wisconsin.

11:31 On fourth and goal from the one, Hill tries the left side of the Wisconsin line and pushes in for the touchdown. Mehlhaff’s PAT splits the uprights.

10-0 Wisconsin, 3:42 left in the first quarter.

11:36 Mehlhaff’s kick is short and brought out to the 31-yard line.

11:38 Indiana running back Josiah Sears coughs up the football after a pickup of one yard and the ball is recovered by Wisconsin’s Nick Hayden at the Indiana 48-yard line.

11:42 Tyler Donovan’s pass is tipped and nearly intercepted by the Hoosiers on second down. The following play, Donovan is dropped for a 10 yards. Ken DeBauche in to punt.

11:43 DeBauche’s punt is fair caught by Tracy Porter at the eight-yard line.

11:45 The first quarter winds to a close with Wisconsin in the lead 10-0. Indiana has the ball on its own 10-yard line.

11:49 Indiana goes a quick three-and-out and is forced to punt. Gilreath gains a short four yards on the return.

11:52 Consecutive long completions to Kyle Jefferson and Travis Beckum put the Badgers on the six-yard line.

Zach Brown walks into the endzone on the following play to put UW up 17-0.

11:55 Mehlhaff’s kickoff is downed in the endzone for a touchback.

11:59 On third-and-one, Kellen Lewis keeps the ball out of the shotgun and runs for three yards and a first down at the Indiana 43-yard line.

12:00 Escaping pressure on the run, Lewis appeared to be stripped of the ball by Jason Chapman. Aaron Henry recovered the fumble and ran it back to the 12-yard line.

The play is unde review, and replay appears to indicate Lewis was down before he fumbled.

12:03 The call is correctly overturned and Indiana will remain in possession of the ball at the UW 44-yard line with a first down.

12:06 On third down, Lewis is pressured and throws incomplete to force fourth down and a punt.

12:07 The punt is caught and downed at the four yard line. P.J. Hill has apparently suffered a lower-leg injury and is currently being evaluated. Zach Brown takes the field with the first team offense.

12:10 Throwing from his own end zone, Donovan completes a 21-yard pass to Kyle Jefferson out to the 26-yard line.

12:12 Wisconsin can’t advance the ball any further and DeBauche hits a tremendous punt which is caught at the 10-yard line and returned to the 18.

12:15 Lewis’ third down pass is incomplete and Indiana is forced to punt again.

12:17 The punt is a low line drive that bounces out of bounds at the UW 46-yard line.

12:18 Travis Beckum takes an end-around for 13 yards and a first down.

12:20 Donovan keeps the ball on an option off the left side and picks up 20 yards down to the 20-yard line.

12:23 Donovan tries to force a pass in to wide receiver Paul Hubbard at the goal line, but it is intercepted by Terry Porter who returns the ball to the 36-yard line.

12:25 Kellen Lewis is sacked by Kirk DeCremer for a loss of four yards at the 31-yard line. Indiana calls a timeout with 1:02 remaining in the first half.

12:27 Flushed right, Lewis throws the ball out of bounds. Austin Starr is out to attempt a 49-yard field goal, which is good.

51 seconds remaining, Wisconsin 17-Indiana 3.

12:30 Gilreath downs the ball in the end zone for a touchback and UW will take over at the 20.

12:31 Wisconsin will let the clock run out and head into halftime with a 17-3 lead.

12:54 Just announced: P.J. Hill will miss the remainder of the game with a lower leg injury. More information after the game.

1:02 Wisconsin with the ball following an Indiana punt at the 28-yard line.

1:07 Donovan connects with Beckum for a pickup of nine yards down to the Indiana 42-yard line to set up a third-and-two.

1:12 UW is forced to punt and DeBauche’s kick goes into the end zone for a touchback.

1:13 Kellen Lewis tried to throw the ball out of bounds as he was under heavy pressure, but cornerback Allen Langford was able to jump and make an interception along the sideline at the 32-yard line.

1:14 Scrambling through the middle of the line, Donovan is hit and fumbles the football. Indiana recovers and takes over at the 26-yard line.

1:15 The play is currently under review.

1:16 The play stands as called. Replays were very inconclusive as the camera angles were really very poor to make a judgement.

1:18 Lewis completes a short pass to Andrew Means for a first down at the IU 40-yard line.

1:20 P.J. Hill has returned to the UW sideline, but is wearing a boot on his left foot.

1:21 James Hardy coughs up the ball after making a reception and the ball is recovered by Nick Hayden at the UW 46-yard line. There is an injured player down on the field in the area where the pile up happened.

1:26 UW can’t do anything with the ball after the fumble recovery, and punts it away. Indiana takes over at their own 18.

1:30 On third down, it appeared Indiana had made a momentum-shifting play, with running back Marcus Thigpen breaking a long touchdown run. The play was called back because of a holding penalty on James Hardy, and on top of that, Thigpen was assessed a personal foul penalty for excessive celebration following his run. That set the Hoosiers way back in their own end, and forced an eventual fourth down punt.

1:33 Donovan finds Paul Hubbard for a 30-yard completion out to the Wisconsin 48-yard line.

1:35 Lance Smith breaks off a 13-yard run down to the 25-yard line for a first down.

1:37 Donovan’s pass to Paul Hubbard got broken up, but officials ruled a pass interference penalty on Wisconsin-native Nick Polk and the Badgers will get the ball on the nine-yard line.

1:39 On the final play of the third quarter, Lance Smith took a handoff and bounced it wide to find the end zone for a touchdown.

PAT good, Wisconsin 24-Indiana 3, end of third quarter.

1:46 Indiana takes the opening possession of the fourth quarter and is driving out near midfield.

1:49 Running on a quarterback draw, Kellen Lewis was hit by Aaron Henry and lost the ball. Wisconsin’s DeAndre Levy recovered the fumble at the UW seven-yard line.

1:54 Little-used fullback Bill Rentmeester carries the ball for 14 yards up the middle to take Wisconsin to the 32-yard line.

1:56 The Badgers end up being forced to punt and DeBauche hits a line drive punt which is returned three yards to the 30-yard line.

1:58 Marcus Thigpen fumbled the ball again, but the Hoosiers were able to fall on it for a loss of one.

2:00 Defensive end Matt Shaughnessy pressures and sacks Lewis for a 11-yard loss.

2:01 On a low punt, David Gilreath takes the return back to the 23-yard line, coming one broken tackle away from scoring a touchdown.

2:03 Wisconsin is unable to do anything with Gilreath’s return and send out Mehlhaff to attempt a 39-yard field goal, which is good.

Wisconsin 27-Indiana 3, 7:14 left in the game.

2:06 Mehlhaff’s field goal sails to the back of the endzone and is downed for a touchback.

2:08 Aubrey Pleasant adds 15 yards to the end of a short Indiana completion with a personal foul penalty for a hit out of bounds.

2:10 Indiana is on the drive with a little over six minutes remaining. We’ll be heading down to the field here shortly, so this is the final post during the game. A final post will be up following interviews.

Current score: Wisconsin 27-Indiana 3, 6:20 remaining.

Final Post:

With 2:07 remaining in the game, Wisconsin’s Lance Smith ran in a 19-yard touchdown to give the Badgers a 33-3 advantage. Kicker Taylor Mehlhaff missed the PAT, and that score stuck as the final tally.

On the day, Wisconsin ran the ball for 279 yards on 55 carries. Hill was limited to only 12 carries before he was forced from the game with what Bielema said was a bruised foot. Lance Smith (15 carries, 79 yards) and Zach Brown (14 carries, 41 yards) helped pick up the slack in the backfield.