UW vs. PSU game blog

2:32 It’s a clear, crisp day in State College and we’re ready for the game. Penn State won the toss and deferred its choice to the second half. Wisconsin will receive the kick. Back to receive is David Gilreath.

2:34 On the first play of the game, P.J. Hill fumbled and the ball was recovered by Sean Lee. Penn State ball on the 12-yard line.

2:36 Three plays later, Penn State fullback Matt Hahn dives over the top of the pile for a touchdown. PAT good, 7-0 Penn State. 13:39 remaining in the first.

2:39 Kickoff goes deep into the endzone and Gilreath downs it for a touchback.

2:41 The Wisconsin student section isn’t alone in their late arrival. The upper portion of the Penn State student section is still vacant at this point. P.J. Hill charges off the right side for a first down.

2:43 On third-and-one from the 40-yard line, Hill is hit in the backfield and dropped. DeBauche hits a line drive punt which was returned out to the 19-yard line.

2:49 Using a combination of drop back passes and slashing running plays, Penn State has driven the ball down to the 13-yard line. Second down and 10.

2:51 The Badgers force Penn State into a field goal attempt of 30 yards, which is good. Penn State 10-Wisconsin 0, 6:51 left in the first quarter.

2:56 Gilreath returns the kickoff to the 23-yard line. On the Badgers first play, Donovan tried to connect with Gilreath for a long pass, but it was just past the outstretched arms of the wide receiver.

2:57 Donovan hits Garrett Graham on third-and-three for a four-yard pass and a first down.

2:58 Donovan and Kyle Jefferson connect on a nice 32-yard pass and catch down to the Penn State 34.

3:00 P.J. Hill bursts through the Penn State line for a pickup of 11 to set up a second down and four after a false start penalty.

3:02 Standing tall in the pocket, Donovan hits Beckum for a pass down to the one-yard line. On the next play, Hill powers into the endzone for a touchdown.

Penn State 10-Wisconsin 7. 2:40 left in the first quarter.

3:06 Matt Shaughnessy gets in the backfield to wrap up Rodney Kinlaw and force a third down. On third down, Morelli’s pass falls incomplete. Penn State sends Jeremy Boone out to punt and the punt is fair-caught by Gilreath at the 17-yard line.

3:10 The first quarter comes to an end, UW has a first-and-10 on the 28-yard line. 10-7 PSU.

3:14 Donovan scrambles away from two Nittany Lions and can’t find anyone open so he throws the ball away.

3:15 Donovan’s pass over the middle goes through Gilreath’s hands and into the hands of Penn State’s Lydell Sargeant.

3:19 On a first-and-10 from the 39-yard line, Allen Langford bit hard on a pump fake and was burned by Deon Butler for an easy Penn State touchdown.

PAT good, 17-7 PSU.

3:23 Gilreath downs the kickoff in the endzone for a touchback.

3:34 After a 3-and-out for Wisconsin, Penn State is driving inside the 20-yard line. On a fourth-and-one, Penn State decides to go for it.

3:39 On fourth down, Evan Royster takes the handoff off the left side of the line and scampers past Kim Royston for a 19-yard touchdown.

PAT good, 24-7 Penn State.

3:41 Taking over at the 20 following a touchback, Donovan hits Jefferson for a 33-yard gain into Nittany Lion territory.

3:43 Donovan’s pass intended for Beckum is intercepted by Anthony Scirotto. First down PSU.

3:45 The Wisconsin defense is doing its best impression of a pasta strainer on this drive, as Penn State has driven the ball into Badger territory with relative ease. The Nittany Lions are on the 24-yard line, facing a 3rd-and-8.

3:47 Morelli’s pass for Deon Butler is low and behind him, falling incomplete. Kelly is on to attenpt a 42-yard kick, which is wide left. Badgers take over at the 25-yard line.

3:51 Donovan scrambles out of the pocket and picks up eight for a first down at the 40-yard line.

3:53 Beckum and Donovan connect for a pickup of 19 yards to the Penn State 40-yard line.

3:56 On third-and-11, Donovan is sacked by Penn State linebacker Dan Connor for a loss of four. Ken DeBauche in to punt for Wisconsin.

3:57 DeBauche’s kick is fumbled by Derrick Williams and recovered by Wisconsin’s Mickey Turner. First down UW at the 37-yard line.

3:59 On third-and-17, Donovan dumped the ball over the middle to P.J. Hill who picked up seven yards. UW punted on fourth down and DeBauche’s kick rolled into the endzone for a touchback.

4:02 Penn State runs the clock out and the first half comes to a close. 24-7 Penn State.

4:26 Penn State has the ball on the opening possession of the second half, driving at the 39-yard line.

4:27 Kinlaw takes the draw handoff down to the 23-yard line. First down PSU.

4:32 Morelli’s pass to Brett Brackett is incomplete, but Allen Langford was whistled for interference on the play. Penn State gets the ball at the 2-yard line and promptly hands the ball to Kinlaw who plows in for the score.

PAT good, 31-7 PSU.

4:39 A quick three-and-out for Wisconsin. DeBauche punts to the 24-yard line and Williams returns the ball to the 33, but a block in the back penalty moved the spot back to the 23-yard line.

4:43 On the first play of the drive, Royster busts off a 15-yard run down the left sideline.

4:44 UW forces PSU to punt. Gilreath lets the ball bounce dead at the 18-yard line.

4:53 Wisconsin is putting together something of a drive here, with the ball on the 45-yard line. Donovan overshot Gilreath on a deep pass and paid dearly for standing in the pocket with a big hit.

4:54 Donovan took another big hit trying in vain to find someone open downfield on third down. DeBauche corralled a high snap and the ball was fair caught on the 9-yard line.

5:04 UW forces Penn State to punt and the Badgers are now driving near midfield. Donovan compeltes a pass to Xavier Harris for a first down at the 33-yard line.

5:05 End of the third quarter. 31-7 Penn State.

5:08 Donovan hits a 20-yard pass completion to Kyle Jefferson. First down, Wisconsin at the 14.

5:10 For the second consecutive play, Donovan is sacked. Mehlaff comes on for a 42-yard field goal attempt, which is hooked wide right. Penn State takes over at the 30-yard line.

5:15 Penn State seems content to continue to run the ball and the clock, and Wisconsin is doing nothing to stop either. First down and 10 Penn State on their own 37-yard line.

5:19 On third down, Aaron Henry is able to get to Morelli and sack him for a loss of 10. It is the first sack of the game for the Badgers. The ensuing punt was a total shank and UW will take over at their own 39-yard line.

5:23 Donovan can find no where to throw the ball on second down and is sacked by Sean Lee for a loss of four. Third-and-10 now on the 34-yard line.

5:30 Penn State is doing whatever they want now, driving the ball inside the five-yard line. Backup quarterback Darrell Clark breaks off the latest 17-yard run to the one.

5:31 Clark dives over the pile for a touchdown.

PAT good, 38-7 Penn State.

5:35 Allan Evridge in at quarterback for Wisconsin. Back-to-back penalties sets up 1st-and-20.

5:37 We’re heading down to the visitor’s locker room. The game is essentially over. Chalk up another loss for Wisconsin.