Bush Cooks Books With Terror Numbers

If it isn’t his overestimation of budgetary numbers in order to produce a “shrinking deficit” that is in fact growing, it seems Bush is able to catch more terrorists without doing anything.

Recently, Bush’s speeches have increased the number of Al-Queda terrorists captured from two-thirds to three-quarters. This is without any proof, disclosure, or evidence of any more Al-Queda arrests.

Newsweek points out that this increase in terror suspects captured is “meaningless,” which pretty much sums up the Bush’s case for terror. By rolling out pundit and politico one after the other to drum the fear of terror into our heads (including the low, low blow of equating a vote for Kerry as a vote for terror) the Bush campaign is engaged in an election of fear that I don’t think we’ve seen since the Red Menace last threatened our national welfare.

When Bush and Cheney ridicule Kerry for fighting a “sensitive” war on terror, or claim that a law enforcement tactic is the wrong way to proceed against Al-Queda, they reveal their inadequacies.

First, almost all the Al-Queda captures since the invasion of Afghanistan (which was disastrous at actually capturing Al-Queda memebers) have been through law enforcement and counter intelligence methods. So they’re ridiculing their own efforts when claiming Kerry wouldn’t handle the war on terror correctly.

Besides, it’s obvious the Bush administration is dropping the ball on the law enforcement level anyway. So if Kerry makes the claim he would do better, I believe him. He couldn’t botch it up much worse than Ashcroft’s Justice Department is.

Second, the ridicule of Kerry by Cheney for his “sensitive” comments belies the fact that the U.S. wants Russia to wage a sensitive war in Chechnya. Appparently what is good for the goose is not good for the gander. Putin and his foreign minister have made many bold pronouncements about Russian policy in the Caucasus and the U.S. has told him to tone it down and negotiate with the terrorists in Chechnya. Whaaaa? Isn’t that a little too sensitive? A little too….wishy-washy? Perhaps a flip-flop on our foreign policy?

Ahh, as Hunter’s link on what American’s think point out, no one would understand that subtle point. But it does point out the inherent hypocrisy in American foreign policy right now.

We can do whatever we want, whenever we want, and want others to follow, but if they don’t screw them, and if they do, point it out, and if they act contrary, slap them down, but pretend you aren’t changing your position. Wow, the coffee is really kicking in.