Night 2 at the RNC

The Republican National Convention certainly seems to have taken on a much less overtly political tone this evening. While there could be little question that last night’s key figures – John McCain and Rudolph Guiliani – are career politicians, tonight’s lineup was a touch less easily identifiable.

The Governator is of course an interesting figure because of his immigrant background, Hollywood career and bizarre claiming of the California state house. He seemed remarkable well composed tonight and critically on point. I just wonder how the “Girlie Men” comment will play out.

As for the second major speaker, Laura Bush, it was a family affair. The twins introduced their father – who appeared at a baseball park with an open shirt and cool persona – who, in turn, introduced their mother. There was plenty of family joking, a fabulous attempt to show the first family as being human, not just political. And Laura Bush carried her speech out well, with a ton of charisma.

The RNC seems to be going rather well thus far. But tomorrow night should prove even more interesting yet as Senator Miller, a Democrat, takes the stage.