A bunch of updates…

I’ve been spending a lot of time on the wiki lately, but here are some updates to the website workings:

Front page

Under the blog section, it used to say “updated X days ago” after the author name, but that broke when entries became a certain age. I’ve now added a script to check if the entry is old enough to make it break, so if that’s the case, it will fall back to displaying the entry modification date. Otherwise if the entry is new, it should still do the “relative date.”

Feature photos now have “Photo: ” prepended to the headline so people don’t click and get confused when there is no body text.

Articles that didn’t have an explicit subheadline used to just show the headline on the front page. Now they show a preview of the body text instead. I then reduced the number of Opinion and ArtsEtc. stories since they didn’t used to have subheadlines for the most part.

I reduced the number of images in the “image bar” toward the bottom to increase page load times. I will make this load dynamically eventually…

Recent shout-outs should no longer have random slashes appearing before quotation marks.

Categories

For each section and blog, I added the updated template to produce a listing of the 50 most recent entries for the given category. There is also a page for entries in the given category by month and by year.

Authors

Now authors have pages listing their entries, which you can get to by clicking the author name at the top of any story or blog post.

Date based archives

There are also regular listing pages by month and year, which can be accessed from the drop down menus on the section front pages.