Indies fill out fall film season

“The Spectacular Now,

After a quiet summer at the box office, the movie industry is giving audiences a reason to settle in for a night in front of the big screen this fall. With the September film calendar, independent films picked up during January’s Sundance Film Festival have arrived for public viewing, and stories from U.S. and international history are being told from different angles. Here is a preview of the movies hitting theaters this month, so grab some popcorn and soda and turn off your cellphone.

The Spectacular Now

Now playing

Romantic comedies and coming-of-age films often go in and out of theaters without much critical attention. This has not been the case with “The Spectacular Now,” an audience and jury favorite at the Sundance Film Festival this past January. From the writers of “(500) Days of Summer,” the film stars Miles Teller (“Footloose”) and Shailene Woodley (“The Descendants”) as two completely opposite friends navigating high school, romance and more. Sutter (Teller) is the all too typical popular high school guy whose life is turned around when he meets Aimee (Woodley), a quiet and astute classmate. The story is honest, down-to-earth and provides a realistic performance of high school friendship. While not available in many theaters, “The Spectacular Now” is currently playing at the Sundance Cinema in Hilldale.

In a World…

Now playing

Remember trailers back in the old days, when audiences were presented with a black screen, littered with stars, hinting at an alternate universe and a deep, manly voice would echo, “In a world…?” Now, here’s the story behind that background voice in the award-winning comedy “In a World…” The film, starring, directed and written by the incredibly talented Lake Bell (“It’s Complicated”), relays the dedication and passion of Carol, a woman trying to land a career in the male-dominated voice-over business. While many in the industry are against her, including her own father, she’s got the support of many supportive and entertaining friends, played by Rob Corddry (“The Way, Way Back”), Demetri Martin (“Contagion”) and Geena Davis (“A League of their Own”). It’s another film that is slowly arriving in theaters but very recently arrived at the Sundance Cinema in Hilldale.

Winnie Mandela

In theaters Sept. 6

“Winnie Mandela” tells the story of Nelson Mandela: shared numerous times before, but not from a perspective like this. Jennifer Hudson (“Dreamgirls”) plays Winnie Mandela, the wife of Nelson Mandela. The film presents her life prior to meeting her husband, as well as her commitment to preserving and spreading her husband’s vision after he is sent to jail for life. The film also stars Terrence Howard (“The Butler”) as Nelson Mandela. The two critically-acclaimed actors should help do justice to the powerful couple. An adaptation of Anne Marie du Preez Bezdrob’s biography, Winnie Mandela: A Life, the film premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in September 2011 and was primarily filmed in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Robben Island in South Africa.

Parkland

In theaters Sept. 20

“Parkland” captures an unforgettable moment in U.S. history: the assassination of John F. Kennedy. However, the story for this film is the timeline of events that occurred at the Parkland Memorial Hospital following the shooting. It’s a version of the historical event from the perspective of doctors, nurses, members of the secret service and even a bystander with a camera trying to help, played by Paul Giamatti (“Downton Abbey”). Directed and written by Peter Landesman, a former journalist for The New York Times, the film arrives in time for the 50th anniversary of the assassination. The film also stars Billy Bob Thornton (“Sling Blade”), Mark Duplass (“Zero Dark Thirty”) and Zac Efron (“The Lucky One”), all trying to scramble pieces together of one of America’s most historically changing moments in a short amount of time.

Thanks for Sharing

In theaters Sept. 20

Audience favorite Mark Ruffalo (“Now You See Me”) plays opposite Gwyneth Paltrow (“Iron Man 3”) in this romantic comedy about three friends struggling with sex addictions. The film is the second collaboration between Ruffalo and Stuart Blumberg, director and co-writer of the film, after the successful 2010 independent film “The Kids are All Right.” The film also stars Tim Robbins (“The Shawshank Redemption”), Joely Richardson (“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”) and Josh Gad (“Jobs”). The cast also includes music sensation Pink acting under her real name, Alecia Moore. Ruffalo and Paltrow appear to have a charming, adorable chemistry together that should keep audiences entertained by this indie.

Don Jon

In theaters Sept. 27

A jury and audience favorite at the Sundance Film Festival, Joseph Gordon-Levitt (“The Dark Knight Rises”) becomes a triple threat for “Don Jon” as the director, writer and star of the film. Gordon-Levitt plays Don Jon, a man dedicated to his faith, family, friends and…porn. However, this habit becomes a problem when he develops a love interest in Scarlett Johansson’s character (“The Avengers”), a part Gordon-Levitt wrote specifically with Johansson in mind. The film also stars actress Julianne Moore (“What Maisie Knew”). Formerly known as “Don Jon’s Addiction,” the film is Gordon-Levitt’s first feature film as director and writer, and it’s currently creating huge buzz, so it will most likely not be his last.