Yellowcard back with Lights, Sounds

Yellowcard, one of the latest punk-rock bands, is mainly associated with its hit single and title track "Ocean Avenue," released in 2003. The group played it safe last time with their major label debut. However, with the release of their new album, Lights and Sounds, listeners will be pleased. Not only do they continue to create infectious hooks and melodies, but the group takes a new turn with different sounds and mature content, sometimes addressing global issues. Their new sound is aided by the addition of a new guitarist, Ryan Mendez of Staring Back, a band from their original label.

Over the last few years, Yellowcard has spent most of its time touring for Ocean Avenue. This new album gave the band members a chance to catch up with themselves instead of being stuck in the past, solely promoting their old CD. The group found themselves distracted by "the lights and sounds" of Hollywood. To start off with a clean slate the main songwriters, Ryan Key and bassist/keyboardist Pete Mosely, moved to New York to work. According to Key on the band's official website, "This album is much more about what's actually going on in my head. I needed to let go of a lot of stuff and force myself to drag some things out that I was afraid to write about. I think there is a little bit of fear on the record — fear of the future, fear of change — and I think all that came out in New York because I was trying to be as confident and positive and forward-thinking as I could, to actually let go and ask 'What if it all goes wrong?'"

When you listen to the album, you may initially be confused, and glance back at the CD to make sure you are actually listening to Yellowcard. I assure you that it is true. After the intro concludes the guitar surges, drums rattle and you are pulled into what we have come to expect from this talented band. Lead singer Key begins, "Hello you, how was the rest?" which is a fitting way to start after just hearing an unexpected beautiful string and piano piece.

"Down on My Head" follows with another great melody. This time undertaking the theme of loneliness and the sensation that everything is falling apart. "City of Devils" begins with a more mellow sound addressing a possible existential crisis with a chorus of "Flying alone I / feel like I don't belong and I / can't tell right from the wrong, why / have I been here so long?"

"Rough Landing, Holly" is the first appearance of the character Holly Wood, who plays various roles throughout the disc. This song has a strong rock feel, but is about a girl he can't stop thinking about. At the end of a strong chorus we hear Key's lone voice cry, "Let her go," and really feel his sadness.

Lights and Sounds takes its first political turn with "Two Weeks From Twenty," which is a fictional story about a soldier who died while fighting in the war with Iraq. This track does not sound like Yellowcard with its jazz style, but it is fitting for the challenging content found in the song.

Yellowcard's most impressive song has to be "How I Go." It is a huge step forward for the band, not only featuring their usual instruments, but a full 25-piece orchestra. The music for the entire orchestra was arranged and conducted completely by their violinist, Sean Mackin. Key explained, "A big point of pride for all of us on this record is that we really incorporated the strings into this record, in a way that I think we really started to hone in and develop a lasting sound for our band."

Ocean Avenue's songs all ended with a resolution. Lights and Sounds differs in that respect as it tackles more difficult issues than just girls; these problems aren't solved as easily. The band assures, however, that there is hope to be found in the album. Mosely pointed out on his website, "I think a lot of what we try to convey is that there's always the other side, and it's just about getting there. And you really have to believe that that's where you want to go, and that it's gonna be better there. Nobody else can do it for you, but you have to get there. And it's possible."

Rating: 5 out of 5