Attell discusses being an “Insomniac”

Liquor, cigarettes, women and quirky nightlife: these are a few of Dave Attell’s favorite things. The quick-witted, hard-partying comedian prowls the cities of the United States in search of late-night antics on his popular Comedy Central show “Insomniac.” Each episode features a different city and informs viewers of what is happening around town for those who do not sleep. Today, the acerbic host takes a smoke break and sits down to chat with The Badger Herald.

Badger Herald: The show looks like it all takes place over one night. How long does it really take to film?

Dave Attell: More than one night, but no more than three nights. I do stand-up, and then we move me and the crew around. There’s lots of traveling to different locations. If we did it all in one night, the show would be me doing stand-up at one bar and then me drunk at another bar.

BH: Was the “Insomniac” concept your idea?

DA: I originally pitched Comedy Central an idea for a game show, and I also mentioned the idea I had for the concept behind “Insomniac.” They loved that one and said, “That’s a great idea that we all came up with.”

BH: Are you ever planning on coming to Madison?

DA: I wanted to come there, but we were waiting for the Ice Festival, which never happened. But I think we may in the future — I love Madison.

BH: In between shooting shows, do you still tour around doing stand-up?

DA: Yeah, during my week off I tour as much as I can.

BH: Why don’t you just rest?

DA: Because I’m an idiot. I want to refill all the jokes that we use at the top of the show. I love doing stand-up — that’s what I do. One of the reasons for doing the show is that I wanted people to see the different clubs while I’m doing stand-up. A lot of people see the show and say, “I didn’t even know we had a comedy club in our town.”

BH: Do you have a favorite place among all of those you have visited?

DA: New Orleans is the best late-night town in the country. I like the South. Madison is a cool drinking town. Each town has its own thing going on. We have to be selective for the show. We can’t go to a place where they are freebasing and shooting heroin behind the Exxon station.

BH: So which do you prefer, taping the show or doing live stand-up?

DA: I like the show because it’s kind of my own deal.
I like Comedy Central because they give you a lot of leeway. If this were network TV, we would still be discussing the title. But I’m a 37-year-old man drinking with 21-year-old people. It’s kind of weird.

BH: What made you decide to pursue comedy as a career?

DA: In my college during my last year — I went to NYU — I was planning on going into the service and getting a real job. I had day jobs, and I did stand-up at night. I studied television at NYU, and I knew immediately that wasn’t for me. I’m the most un-technical person that there is. I should have studied history and pharmacology. I do comedy because, really, I don’t know how to do anything else.

BH: How do you feel about all of the traveling that “Insomniac” requires?

DA: I don’t have the look for the airport, and I keep getting stopped. I don’t really like traveling; I just like getting there. When are we going to get that Star Trek thing?

BH: Do you get recognized often?

DA: I’m getting recognized more now. In the airport, they recognize me and full-body-search me.

BH: Do you watch a lot of television?

DA: I watch “The Simpsons.” I just started getting into [“Buffy the Vampire Slayer”], and I watch the History Channel because I’m old. Also, of course, I watch the porno TV.

BH: If you were to come back to school and attend UW-Madison, what courses would you take?

DA: I would take what everyone is taking there: “How to Build Your Own Bong.” Honestly, I don’t think I could get into your school. Oh, I know — I would take “How to Drink on the Street Without a Coat and Not Freeze to Death.”

BH: Is there anything you would like to say to students?

DA: I’d like to give them some drinking tips. I think you know you’ve had enough to drink when you’re laughing and bleeding at the same time. Also, never, ever wear a hooded sweatshirt when you’re drinking because you’ll eventually think there’s someone right behind you. But seriously, go to the web page [www.daveattell.com] — we’d love to hear from you. Get that ice festival going, and we’ll try to come to Madison soon.