UW volleyball’s Caroline Workman to miss rest of season

Senior+Caroline+Workmans+collegiate+career+ended+after+sustaining+a+hip+injury.+
Senior Caroline Workman’s collegiate career ended after sustaining a hip injury.

Senior defensive specialist Caroline Workman will miss the remainder of the 2014 season after suffering a stress fracture in her left hip that will ultimately end her career, according to a statement from the team.

An MRI Monday showed the results.

The Los Angeles native saw increased court-time as this season progressed as a valuable member of the serving and back-court rotations. Workman recorded seven service aces this season, including a career-high two against Ball State in September. She played in 19 matches and recorded 37 digs.

Last season, Workman missed the first 22 matches with a leg injury. After returning for five games, her season ended after falling ill in mid-November.

Due to Workman’s senior standing, she will not be eligible to play again for Wisconsin. Fellow senior defensive specialist Kt Kvas is the likely candidate to fill the hole in the rotation.

“It breaks your heart anytime a player’s career is shortened due to injury,” head coach Kelly Sheffield said in the statement. “Caroline has been knocked down a few times the past few years and has continually persevered and found her way back on the court – all with the typical positive Caroline spirit.  We are all happy that she will remain with the team and finish out her academic career as a Badger.”

For her career as a Badger, Workman played in 83 matches with 30 starts. She finishes with 35 aces and 393 digs.

Workman plans to graduate in May 2015 with a degree in life science communications.