Run comes to end

It's amazing how fast time flies. It seems like just yesterday that I walked up the tedious three flights of stairs to the top of the Herald office and stood in a big circle telling 50+ people I'd never met that I was the new associate sports editor.

But, then again, the same can be said for my first office party, or even the first time I came into the office two-and-a-half years ago as a writer with precisely zero experience in the field. Honestly, I wasn't even going to be a journalist when I came to the Herald. I was headed to long days at Grainger when I transferred here at the start of my sophomore year. Probably best it didn't end up that way. I never was much of one to wear a suit. But, like all good things, everything must come to and end, and so must my time as a sports editor and sports columnist at the Herald.

It's been a hell of a run, though, taking road trips across the nation (including my last Herald-sponsored trek to sunny Florida in a few weeks — I know, my life is rough), arguing over who's the better coach to party with, explaining to Schmoldt why he won't get a raise no matter how good he thought his writing skills were last year. Ah, the memories.

And really, what's life without memories? The only difference with my memories is that I got to share them with 16,000 readers, five days a week. I know Ziemer listed a bunch of memories in his farewell piece yesterday, so I won't bother reiterating any of the experiences he mentioned. However, I do have one memory I would like to share:

Joe Pa in Chicago: Listening to Penn State Nittany Lions head coach Joe Paterno speak at the preseason Media Day festivities in Chicago was definitely the perfect way to open the season. I'm not going sit here and write that I've been a fan of the Nittany Lions since I grew up and that I've followed coach Paterno's career ever since I can remember because, well, that would be both cheesy and a lie.

However, any fan of college football cannot help but admire the man for everything he's accomplished. That being said, the highlight of sitting one chair away from the man with the thick coke-bottle glasses was undoubtedly his story about getting his picture taken with a bikini-clad girl on the beach. After telling the girl no a few times, Joe Pa finally gave in, but the kicker was the girl ended up mailing copies of the picture to his house. His wife saw them and asked what it was all about.

The story could absolutely have been in the vein of a Bo Ryan joke story, but still, the story was priceless coming from the ageless wonder himself. Hilarious stuff.

And thus ends my ability to live out my experiences on the pages of The Badger Herald.

So, to the readers, I thank you for the past year. I thank you for allowing me to voice my opinions and experiences in a forum that few ever get the privilege to utilize.

My opinions were sometimes accepted and, other times, judging by the hate mail I got on the second-floor bathroom in College Library, not so much. (P.S. To whoever insulted my sex life on this nice little bathroom message-board thread, I've got a redhead waiting at home for me who'd beg to differ with your assertion.)

Good arguments are what sports is all about, and again, I thank everyone who picked up The Badger Herald to read mine on a weekly basis for the past year. It's been a privilege to have your attention.

Adam Parks ([email protected]) would like to thank Tom Ziemer for being the best co-editor a man could ask for, and a true friend; Michael Robinson for dragging his ass into The Badger Herald office two-and-a-half long years ago and getting him off the business school track; Eric Schmoldt and Shannon Van Curen for continuing the strong Herald sports legacy and all the rest of the staff that have made the past year unforgettable.