Diversity blunders torment UW, Fox

Yesterday, Gov. Jim Doyle announced a breakthrough collaborative effort between the University of Wisconsin's WiCell stem-cell bank and the United Kingdom's stem-cell bank. For most present, the press conference was another strong push in the direction of improved stem-cell research. But for myself, it was an example of a how a diverse set of minds can yield innovation and progress. The image of Doyle standing alongside British House of Lords member Naren Patel, a Tanzanian-born doctor and scientist of Indian origin, left me with a profound image. Our world really is getting smaller and the opportunity to make real advancements in any field — be it stem-cell research or advancements in international law — will depend on the joint exercises of individuals from across borders, national and international.

It's a big idea, I know. Appropriately enough, it's also one the UW System has had to grapple with as it chose to pass a new freshman admissions policy Friday allowing for the use of an applicant's race, as well as several other expected factors, as part of a "holistic" admissions approach. "Holistic" means the university takes into account everything that makes you, you. These factors include a student's academics, extracurriculars and socioeconomic status.

Though I agree quite strongly with UW initiatives to improve diversity as a means to provide students with the necessary tools and awareness to compete in an increasingly global world, I disagree that "race-conscious" admissions are the way to go about it.

Worse still, the arguments that have surfaced over the past three months seem to have only brought out the worst in many individuals who have done little but to confuse the issue more in the minds of Wisconsin citizens.

It is a bald-faced lie to claim that the inclusion of race does not provide students of color with a bonus over equally qualified white students. According to UW Chancellor John Wiley's testimony before the regents, in situations where two students have equal qualifications they either will both be accepted or rejected, regardless of their race. Which begs the question, why recognize race at all?

Still, race has a significant impact on the American melting pot, myself included. It affects us in different ways and to different degrees. I have yet to experience a situation where my race has adversely affected me, although I'm sure it happens to others, and frequently. Certainly, I have witnessed its bonuses. As one of only four Indian Hindus at a 1,200-student Catholic school, race provided me with the gift of immediate presence — students knew me before I knew them — which was OK because it taught me a few lessons in social awkwardness. But if we're talking about lessons in social awkwardness, I really have nothing more to offer than the next guy. Our stories are equally important.

What perplexes me is how my experience is considered more important than that of my white friends. For some bizarre reason the regents and their supporters are willing to overlook this fact.

While the regents may have passed a very contentious policy, arguably more disturbing is the type of sludge that is flowing thick from a certain "news" outlet as well as the Capitol building.

On Thursday, Fox News thought they'd make their presence known and ride the elevator up to 1812 Van Hise and perhaps even make some good news. I should emphasize the word "make." Without wasting too much time, everyone's favorite news outlet was out and about asking regular students holistic admissions-related questions, one in particular to the sound of something like, "Why should unqualified minority students be allowed into the University of Wisconsin?"

That's pretty much the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

If you have ever walked our halls or seen our students you would be wise to note their qualities. The University of Wisconsin is home to some of the brightest students in the country and all of the students who enter through our doors are qualified. Not only that, if you head over to the Journalism School, they might even give you a lesson in relevant questioning. Do your research, Fox News — the University of Wisconsin System does not allow under-qualified students into its doors.

Of course, it would be all right if the sludge was only this thick.

"I think our society is used to giving preference to African-Americans," Wisconsin Senate Education Committee member Glenn Grothman, R-West Bend, told WKOW 27 Friday. "But why in the world would we give preferences to Hispanics, who've just come here? Perhaps we could remove preferences for those people."

I should be pissed off, but that's so ridiculous it's funny.

Perhaps the most deadly sludge comes from a most deathly individual.

State Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, said in a press release Thursday, "The unaccountable Board of Regents has chosen a confrontation with the taxpayers of this state regarding its politically correct admissions policy. This fundamental decision on the operation of the UW System raises serious doubts in my mind regarding its budget request for more taxpayer funding."

Nass' basic stance on university issues has always been the same. Wait for the right (wrong) moment, threaten a standoff with taxpayers, and then worse, threaten the loss of university funds. I've watched him do it for several years and over time he's even had a few teammates along the way to help prop him up. We've heard his belligerent voice through the Ward Churchill speeches, through the UW System Bible-ban brouhaha, through the sex offenders "scandal" — and I'm sure we'll be hearing more of it in the future.

Sundeep Malladi ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in political science and history.