New potential height limits on University Avenue endangers character of area

Flowers may not be the only things growing taller this spring. The Madison City Council is currently deciding on how to develop the older portion of University Avenue, expanding a five story height limit to eight on the north side of the street. The area contains homes, the Wisconsin Energy Institute and newer apartments ranging from four to six stories. While the city is pushing for area density, many residents fear the neighborhood will lose its character.

The significance of building height is a feature most people do not fully appreciate. Throughout history, building height has reflected the values and development of communities.

In the Middle Ages, the tallest building in the entire town would be the church because that was by far the most important aspect of their community. The churches were built with high-pitched ceilings to give them a cavernous feel and to make those who worship feel small in the presence of God. Even farther back in ancient Greece, religion revolved around all-powerful gods living on top of Olympus, a 9,500-foot mountain. Whether people realize it or not, looking up at those spires gives clear importance.

The next transition came as the New World blossomed. It should be obvious to anyone in Madison that government buildings are the tallest. In fact, a law enacted in 1989 prevents a building topping the Madison capitol in height. In January of this year, Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, tried to pass an additional to the law expanding the radius around the Capitol to protect the view of the dome. (If this addendum were passed, Van Hise Hall,the Engineering Research Building and the Atmospheric, Oceanic and Space Science Building would all be in violation as part of the newly expanded radius). The District of Columbia is peppered with monuments and buildings that dwarf the surrounding buildings. Government became the controlling power, with the people living more in fear of them than their eternal soul.

Since the industrial revolution, the buildings towering over the population have become those of commerce. The driving force and value of the populace is no longer morality or liberty but prosperity. The tallest buildings in the world are business mega-plexes.

While character of a neighbor may not seem as logical of an argument when efficiency of space is the issue but what we look up to is what we look up to in the world. As the council deliberates the height limit of University Avenue, it is important to consider the message they want to send. What really matters to Madison? While space is limited in an urban environment, the value of community and closeness cannot be ignored. Maintaining that compassion and character is crucial to the construct of the city. While character of a neighborhood may not seem as logical of an argument when efficiency of space is the issue, the fact of the matter is that what we look up to what we look up to in the world. And isn’t good character something to which we all aspire?

Abigail Zemach ([email protected]is a freshman majoring in food science.