Free flu shots available for UW students starting next week Friday

Herald archives

Flu shots at University Health Services will begin next week as the temperatures dip down and flu season settles in. 

Alisa Santiesteban,  a spokesperson for UHS, recommends all students come early for their flu shots, which are free for students since they’re covered by student health fees.

“The flu is unpredictable, and it takes about two weeks after vaccination for the antibodies to develop in the body and actually provide protection,” Santiesteban said. “So we encourage them to come and get their flu shot over with. It will take 10 minutes.”

UHS is kicking off with a flu shot clinic Friday, Sept. 26, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. in Gordon Commons. All students need to bring is a student ID. There will be cookies and giveaways while supplies last, and an appearance from Bucky Badger earlier in the day.

If students are unable to attend Friday’s clinic, there are other alternatives. From Sept. 29 through Nov. 14, students can go to the 6th floor of UHS between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. for their flu shot. There are also satellite clinics at Union South, Dejope Hall and the Health Sciences Learning Center.

If students experience flu-like symptoms such as a fever, muscle aches, headache, sore throat and fatigue, Santiesteban recommends staying home from school and work to give the body the rest it needs. This also limits the spread of the virus to those around you, Santiesteban said.

“By getting the flu shot, you’re protecting yourself, but you’re also helping keep the campus community healthier,” she said.

If there are any questions or concerns, UHS encourages people to call them at 608-265-5600.