Subcommittee debates later showing dates

landlordten_BB
UW freshman Alexandra Perraud spoke at the meeting, saying how the early push to sign leases made her hastily enter into a bad living situation for next year.[/media-credit]

A proposal to push back the date at which landlords are permitted to start showing and leasing apartments sparked debate between student and landlord representatives at a Landlord and Tenant Issues Subcommittee meeting Thursday.

Current city ordinance requires landlords to wait until one-fourth of the lease has passed before renting or showing prospective renters a property.

In hopes of mitigating the annual rush to enter into leases each fall, the proposal would push that period back, forcing landlords to hold off until one-half of the lease has expired.

A group of representatives from the University of Wisconsin’s Associated Students of Madison came out in support of the proposal, which students said would help protect students from exploitative practices of landlords.

“There’s definitely an artificial market demand being pushed,” ASM Legislative Affairs Chair Adam Johnson said. “E-mails starting in October, people standing on the street corner handing out candy and other gifts along with fliers saying, ‘Rent here.’ This happens in September, October and November. I think there are definitely some predatory and deceptive practices that go on.”

Supporters said moving the date back would allow students more time to get acclimated to their current housing situation before making housing decisions for the following year.

Opponents of the proposal, however, said more bureaucracy will not remedy the problem. Madison Property Management President James Stopple made a case for supply and demand, not more government regulation of leasing practices.

“Bigger government is not always better government,” Stopple said. “As you add more bureaucracy, you’re going to add more city costs to more employees.”

Several people speaking against the proposal said pushing the date back would create long waiting lists, which could encourage a black market to develop.

“Students will find themselves not leasing from a landlord anymore, but from a potentially slimy middleman,” said Nancy Jensen, executive director of the Apartment Association of South Central Wisconsin.

Dan Seeley, representing Steve Brown Apartments, added the proposal would be unfair for students studying abroad second semester.

However, ASM Legislative Affairs member Sam Polstein said the minority of students studying abroad should not hinder the amendment, which would help a majority of students.

One issue landlords and students agreed on was the need for an increase in consumer education for students.

Johnson said ASM is working to hold more housing information sessions on campus to help students — particularly freshmen — become better informed before entering into a lease. This amendment, he said, is an important first step in helping students.

“I think it’s crucial that we change the culture of signing leases right away,” Johnson said. “I think this is one way the city can reach out and form a bridge and partnership to show that the city actually has student interests in mind.”

The subcommittee agreed to reopen discussion and vote on the proposal at their next meeting. If approved, the amendment will go before the Housing Committee and then city council for final approval.