New technology issues addressed

Nano_BB
Experts testify before the state Assembly\’s Committee on Health regarding issues to nanotechnology.[/media-credit]

The Assembly Committee on Health met Tuesday to address some of the possible issues regarding emerging nanotechnologies.

Several experts testified to provide the committee with more information, including Andrew Maynard, chief science advisor to the Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies, who provided a background about nanotechnology and addressed some of the committee members’ questions concerning regulation.

According to a statement issued Monday by the Nanotechnology Citizens Engagement Organization, the purpose of the hearing was a response to “concerns raised by Wisconsin citizens and government agencies.”

One major concern with nanotechnology, according to the statement, is the particles are so small they can migrate through cell membranes in the body and cause disease.

The statement also said scientific studies have proven nanoparticles to be more reactive in living cells and fibrous carbon nanotubes have even been shown to produce effects similar to that of asbestos in mice.

According to Maynard, Richard Smalley, professor of physics and astronomy at Rice University, defines nanotechnology as “the art and the science of building stuff that does stuff at the nanometer scale.”

Maynard added one possible concern is the use of nanotechnology and materials with nanoparticles is relatively new and there is not much research currently available on the long-term effects of exposure to manufactured nanoparticles on human health.

“How do we regulate something that we really don’t know (about)?” asked Rep. Patricia Strachota, R-West Bend.

Her question addresses the problem of the current lack of definitive regulation for products that utilize nanotechnology.

Rep. Penny Bernard Schaber, D-Appleton, shared the concern about the regulation and material safety of the nanoparticles.

Schaber added the issue has to be considered as a whole and the actual end product must be tested to ensure the nanoparticles are inert and harmless. If they are not, there must be procedures in place to deal with the materials safely.

Committee Chair Rep. Chuck Benedict, D-Beloit, stressed the purpose of the hearing was purely to gather more information on the subject to better inform the public on the issues concerning nanotechnology.

Maynard presented a brief synopsis of nanotechnology at the hearing, outlining three different aspects that make nanotechnology remarkable: smallness, strangeness and sophistication.

According to Maynard, the smallness of the particles allow them to fit into places that were previously impossible and the tiny size of the particles also leads them to behave in strange and sometimes unpredictable ways. Sophistication of the technology, he said, would allow for the creating of lighter and more flexible materials than ever before.

Other practical applications of this technology, Maynard said, include new methods of energy generation, cheap and efficient water purifying systems, new medical treatments for cancer, and ways to rebuild muscle fibers after injuries.