Candidate breaks campaign sign rules

Madison City Council candidates’ campaign signs are lining the streets of Madison as the election approaches next week, though problems arose Monday when District 5 candidate Ben Moga’s campaign signs lacked an attribution statement and were placed on city property.

According to the Wisconsin State Elections Board website, candidates must have an “attribution statement” on all campaign signs and literature stating who paid for the signage. The statute also says records of campaign finance must be kept by candidates.

Moga’s opponent, Ald. Robbie Webber, District 5, noticed the campaign signage did not follow state election laws Sunday.

“This isn’t something they fool around with,” Webber said. “He’s ignoring state election laws.”

The “Moga for Madison” campaign signs were placed on the terrace between the sidewalk and the street, which is city property and against campaign regulations, according to Webber.

Moga — after being notified three separate times — said he was “running around” with his campaign manager until midnight Monday, moving the signage and adding stickers stating: “Authorized and paid for by Moga for Madison.”

“I’m actually surprised that it’s this big of an issue, especially on a local level,” Moga said. “I understand and do realize the importance of following the rules. If I do something wrong, I correct it.”

According to Moga, he was unaware the area between the sidewalk and the street was city property.

“Apparently it’s a pretty big deal, [but] keep in mind this is my first campaign,” Moga said. “I feel it got blown out of proportion.”

Webber said when she first ran for alderperson two years ago, she made the same mistake as Moga, but after being informed of the problem, she changed the signs within two hours. Webber called Moga on Sunday and Monday to notify him of the two restrictions he was not following.

“It took him a good long time to do it,” Webber said. “I understand when you’re a rookie, you make mistakes. I made the same thing. Someone pointed it out to me immediately and I corrected it immediately.”

According to Webber, Moga’s campaign signs were posted for a couple of days before the changes were made. Webber said she was surprised Moga was not notified immediately, but said she was glad the signage now follows state election-law standards.

Moga said the signs were modified the day he was alerted of the problems.

“Yes, I admit I was unaware, but I think the most important thing was that I corrected it,” Moga said. “I think I did everything I can.”