Police arrest men for mischief

The Madison Fire Department responded to a suspected fire in a building on the 600 block of Langdon Street, but instead found two men setting off fire extinguishers in the hallways early Sunday morning.

Twenty-five-year-old Jacob Verriden and 24-year-old Donny Orick, both who do not live in the building, were charged with interfering with firefighting, according to a release.

When firefighters arrived on Langdon Street at approximately 1 a.m., they determined there was no fire in the structure although the hallways were filled with smoke. It was soon discovered that multiple fire extinguishers had been discharged. At this time, Madison police officers spotted an individual in the hallway releasing another fire extinguisher.

The two individuals were arrested but Verriden tried to run from the police officers on foot while still handcuffed. The release said police officers were able to catch Verriden quickly and transport the two men to the Dane County Jail.

Verriden was also charged with an Escape-Probation Violation.

According to Wisconsin law, interfering with firefighting is a classified felony and is punishable by fine, prison or both. Intentionally and falsely reporting a fire alarm and “intentionally interfering with the proper functioning of a fire alarm system or efforts of fire fighters to extinguish a fire,” including removing fire extinguishers, is a Class A misdemeanor.

Lt. Carl Strasburg of the Madison Police Department said when police respond to a report that ends up being false, it is an annoyance for the department and it can also affect the entire city.

“Anytime that police are called to a false report or something that could have been prevented, it prohibits us from responding to other more important things or other instances where people need our services,” Strasburg said.

According to Strasburg, it is “frustrating” for the police department because they want to give their service to those who are in need, but their efforts can be “hampered” by false reports.

University of Wisconsin freshman KC Didier said she has had to suffer through false fire alarms while living at Ogg Hall.

“It just seems so senseless,” Didier said. “Not only do fire alarms force officials to go out of their way, it also interrupts everyone else’s life and is, in general, a big waste of time.”