Swimming pool receives funding

[media-credit name=’YANA PASKOVA/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]pool_yp_416[/media-credit]The Goodman brothers pledged the remaining $300,000 necessary to build the 1,000-person-capacity swimming pool, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz announced Tuesday at a press conference. The City Council later confirmed the pool project Tuesday night.

The resolution passed Tuesday night amended the 2005 Parks Division Capital Budget to allow the construction of the $4,125,000 Goodman Pool.

George Twigg, spokesperson for Cieslewicz, said he is very happy with how the project unfolded and he appreciates the generosity of the Goodman brothers.

“Now we know for sure that this pool can be built without any additional public money,” Twigg said. “It’s good news for taxpayers and the community members that will benefit from this pool.”

As of Feb. 28, the private fundraising efforts for the budget fell short approximately $250,000. Cieslewicz’s proposal, which would require the use of public money to cover the remaining funds for the $4 million pool, is now unnecessary with the March 1 donation. The only public money that will be used for the construction of the pool is the initial $500,000 pledge.

Brothers Irwin and Robert Goodman were originally the first to pledge money to the pool, the first public one in the city. Their contributions will now total up to $2.8 million, according to a release. Twigg said the Goodman brothers are involved with charitable work all around the city, including many university, civic and local projects.

“They’ve just been longtime supporters of a lot of community efforts,” Twigg said.

Other contributions to the pool project include $120,000 from the general public and $775,000 from local businesses.

The Goodman brothers’ final $300,000 contribution is under the condition the pool will open no later than summer 2006. According to Twigg, there is no doubt the pool will be open on schedule. The pool will break ground in July and construction will be completed by next summer, he added.

Ald. Cindy Thomas, District 20, who was against Cieslewicz’s proposal to use public funds to upgrade the pool from an 800-person pool to the larger 1,000-person-capacity pool, said she is “more than happy” to see the Goodman brothers’ donation.

“There is a great deal more comfort, but I’m still concerned,” Thomas said. “With 1,000 people, the operating budget’s going to be bigger and there are other places I want to put my money.”

Thomas said she would like to see her money put toward other aspects of the city, such as the police and fire departments, as well as street maintenance.

Ald. Zach Brandon, District 7, who also voiced opposition to Cieslewicz’s proposal last week, said he applauds the mayor and the Goodman brothers and is thankful more city tax dollars will not be used for construction.

According to the release, fundraising efforts for the pool project will continue with the hopes of raising money for pool maintenance and for programs, including swimming scholarships for low-income children.

Cieslewicz’s Ad Hoc Swimming Pool Committee has been working since July 2004 on the pool project by researching possible locations, operating costs and fundraising strategies.

The City Council also confirmed a recommendation from the Alcohol License Review Committee to remove a condition from State Street Brats. The condition required patrons on the second floor to exit the building at 1:30 a.m. out the Frances Street exit. Customers will now be allowed to remain on the second floor until bar time.

A proposal to add sidewalks along both sides of Capital Avenue, a neighborhood street off University Avenue, was passed unanimously by the council despite much controversy. Many residents of the neighborhood registered to give public testimony in support of and against the proposal.

A large number of neighbors who fought in support of sidewalk additions said sidewalks were necessary for the protection of children, the elderly and bike riders who are forced to walk or ride along a busy street.

Those who spoke against the proposal said the neighborhood has functioned for decades without sidewalks and they will be sad to see the loss of many old trees lining the street. Although new trees will be planted, many were disappointed the atmosphere of the street could possibly change with the destruction of trees and the addition of cement to the neighborhood block.