911 system to track cell phone users

The city of Madison will benefit from Dane County’s newly enhanced 911 system this fall, allowing the dispatch center to trace cell phone callers to their exact location — an ability the center currently cannot do unless the caller vocalizes their whereabouts.

Captain Mary Schauf, assistant chief of police of the Madison Police Department, said the new system will increase the abilities of the Dane County 911 Communications Center.

“Right now, when a cellular call comes in, the call-taker is trying to find out where the incident occurred,” Schauf said. “The ability … with the enhanced 911 is right away they are going to know where you are and it will improve response time.”

Police officers will be able to locate callers through a global positioning system (GPS), a form of satellite technology, with the new system, according to Duke Ellingson, director of the Dane County 911 Center.

Schauf said the technology is a “huge” advance for the 911 center and also a “huge” advantage for the residents of Madison. According to Schauf, many cell phone callers can experience problems with the current system — including people from out of town who simply may not know where they are when calling for help.

“Let’s say you are involved in a car accident,” Schauf said, adding even residents who are normally familiar with Madison could be easily thrown off guard and not recognize a location, “you are hanging upside down by your seat belt and [911 representatives] ask you where you are.”

Ellingson said he agrees the system will be a great benefit, because right now if a caller is not in the condition or in a position to tell their location, there can be trouble.

“Fortunately, we have not had any real serious problems, but it is difficult for people traveling through the county or people traumatized by an accident,” Ellingson said.

Newer cell phones are all equipped with GPS technology, Ellingson said. When a call is made, the particular latitude and longitude of the cell phone will be used to locate the caller and eventually the call is routed to the 911 center, he added.

According to Ellingson, phone carriers do not sell phones without the GPS technology anymore, but residents of Madison may still use older models.

Waukesha County remains the only other county in the state of Wisconsin with the enhanced 911 technology. Ellingson said funding could stand as a reason why more counties do not offer the technology.

The Dane County system is partly funded by a law passed in August 2003 allowing a monthly surcharge on cell phone users for a period of three years. The money collected will be sent back to the carriers and the 911 center to support the technology.

Ellingson said it is very important for residents of Madison to understand the new system is not currently in place in Dane County. The system should be available by the end of September, he added.

University of Wisconsin senior, Katie McGinn, said she would feel much safer when she has to walk around campus alone at night.

“I have always been told to talk on my cell phone when I walk home alone, but that doesn’t necessarily keep anyone safe,” McGinn said. “Now, if I have to call 911 in the future, at least I know someone can find me and help me.”