Police discuss Tasers

[media-credit name=’chandbourne_dm_202.jpg’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]WrayNobleCLR_dm_416[/media-credit]Madison Police Chief Noble Wray released an internal Taser Report informing the public about the department’s use and policy concerning Tasers in the community Thursday during a press conference.

“We are trying to put a local face on a lot of national information,” Wray said. “We realize and understand and we are sympathetic to the fact that there is a lot of conflicting information.”

According to a report compiled by the MPD, Tasers were first acquired in January of 2004. The report includes analyses of the deployment of Tasers throughout that time period and cites six incidents when deadly force was avoided through the use of a Taser.

According to Lieutenant Victor Wahl, dubbed the department’s “Taser expert” by Wray, the suppression weapons have been deployed 92 times in 83 incidents by Madison police officers. Without the use of Tasers in these situations, injuries would have been more numerous and severe, he added.

“Our deployment of Tasers has very clearly resulted in the reduction of injury to officers and suspects,” Wahl said.

When a Taser is fired, two small probes can cause minor punctures if there is direct contact with skin, similar to mosquito bites, according to the Taser Report. Three incidents are listed in which officers were injured during the deployment of a Taser.

In one additional incident, an officer needed medical treatment. Six instances were cited in the report when suspects were injured beyond the normal probe puncture.

The recent incident at Madison Memorial High School, in which a 14-year-old student was Tased, has sparked growing controversy regarding injuries resulting from Tasers and the appropriateness of using the technology on youths.

According to the report, seven subjects ranging from the ages of 14 to 18 have been Tased since the MPD began using Tasers. The report pointed out that although this age group accounts for only 8 percent of Taser deployments, it accounts for 24 percent of arrests, illustrating that the MPD restrains from targeting this group as much as possible.

Wray said the goal of the conference was not to concentrate on the recent Taser incident but to focus on underlying issues such as school safety, racial bias in the community and public trust.

“It’s an important issue for the community and we are going to make sure we step up and provide information,” Wray said. “Our goal here is to educate and inform.”

According to Wray, it is important the public does not overreact. The MPD wants an opportunity to educate the community on the local issue of Tasers and encourage a two-way dialogue between those who have concerns and the police department. A public forum has been scheduled for March 2.

Wray said although the subject of Tasers can be researched extensively, at some point a decision needs to be made.

“I believe it is a safe device,” Wray said. “I also understand there is much debate out there.”

The Taser Report is available to the public on the MPD’s website at www.ci.madison.wi.us/police.