Men assault couple on Lake Street

A group of men assaulted a couple walking to their vehicle early Saturday morning in the Lake Street parking ramp on the 400 block of North Lake Street, according to a release.

Three to five males surrounded the 21-year-old man and his girlfriend at approximately 2:30 a.m. while looking for their car inside the ramp. The group of men then began to physically fight the 21-year-old man until two different individuals broke up the brawl.

The Madison Police Department was called while the fight was still in progress. They met the victim at the hospital.

The group of men ran from the parking ramp and have not been identified. They are suspected to be in their 20s. One specific male is said to be 6 feet tall and muscular with blond hair.

The Madison Police urge the public to call Crime Stoppers at 266-6014 if they have any information regarding the assault. Cash rewards are available for callers.

Monday night, a woman, approximately 50 years old, was robbed by two black males on East Main Street. The suspects had a weapon and forcibly took money from her and ran away on foot. The woman only suffered a minor injury on her hand.

According to the Madison Police Department’s 2003 Annual Report, there were more than 400 aggravated assaults reported, with 70 percent of the incidents ending in arrests, increased from 61 percent arrested the previous year.

Wisconsin senior Lucy Chao said she has always felt safe in Madison in the past, even when she walks home alone.

“It’s scary that these things happen on campus,” Chao said. “People are supposed to feel safer walking home or to other places with people. Something like this makes you think again.”

During an armed robbery, the Madison Police Department says it is better to lose your money than to lose your life. The department’s armed robbery prevention tips include following all of the robber’s directions to prevent getting harmed and calling 911 immediately after the incident.

The annual report listed 278 robbery offenses in 2003 with 23 percent of the cases ending in arrests.