Teach for America founder speaks

Teach for America founder and President Wendy Kopp spoke in the Great Hall at Memorial Union Wednesday night about the educational inequalities facing children in low-income communities. She also addressed why she created the national core of teachers and why there is a great urgency to expand the movement and ensure educational opportunities for all.

As a senior at Princeton University in 1989, Kopp descended into what she considered an “incredibly deep funk.” Economic disparities facing children in low-income communities disturbed Kopp.

She also was convinced many people in her generation were looking for a way to assume a responsibility that would make a difference in the world, she said.

“There were thousands of graduating seniors out there, in my view, at Princeton and at other places as well, who were just searching for something … a way to assume responsibility … [while having] a real impact on the world,” Kopp said.

With this in mind, Kopp envisioned Teach for America. She said she could not understand why the United States did not have a program to help less-privileged students, asking, “Why doesn’t this country have a national teacher core that recruits people as aggressively … as Wall Street?”

Kopp developed an ambitious plan for the national teacher core in her undergraduate senior thesis, outlining the multiple steps involved. First, the corps had to inspire thousands of graduating seniors to apply, then it had to select, train and place 500 of them as teachers in five or six urban and rural communities around the country. Finally, the corps had to acquire approximately $2.5 million to set the plan in action.

Kopp traveled nationwide, meeting with companies and urging them to provide grants for her program. Although she found widespread support, many doubted graduates would be interested in teaching in low-income communities.

“People thought all [that college graduates] wanted to do was go work on Wall Street,” Kopp said.

Kopp was able to secure a $26,000 seed grant from Mobil Corporation. Princeton University acted as a conduit for the remaining funds, according to Kopp’s book, “One Day, All Children.”

During the program’s first year, 2,500 people applied and only 500 were selected.

Today, 3,000 Teach for America core members are in classrooms around the country. Kopp said she finds the energy and commitment the members put into their job on a daily basis a huge source of inspiration.

Kopp also said she feels there is more to accomplish, adding she sees major fundamental flaws in our country’s educational system.

“Much has been accomplished but it is not possible to do this stuff and be satisfied,” Kopp said. “My colleagues and I feel a greater sense of urgency today more than ever.”

She encouraged every person who has leadership abilities to apply for Teach for America.

University of Wisconsin senior Carly Peterson said she applied for Teach for America because improving the quality of someone else’s life appeals to her.

“The rewards are a lot greater than you can put value to,” Peterson said.