UW Board of Regents authorize Grainger addition

The University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents met Friday for the second time this week to pass a number of resolutions and to receive reports from various UW Regent committees.

The United Council of UW Students talked to the Regents about the importance of keeping tuition affordable for students.

“The tuition increase is hitting people who need these opportunities the most,” said UW-Baraboo representative Jeremiah Timm. “There are families that cannot pay for their children to attend college…their children are encouraged to go to the local college, and then transfer to larger universities…unfortunately these students must sacrifice their precious study time, because they need to pay off the heightened cost of education.”

Jack Vinijtrongjit, a UW-Madison student from Thailand, explained how international students are also affected by tuition hikes.

“International students are not eligible to receive financial aid, federal loans and most scholarships; yet, we are paying $7000 more than an in-state student each semester,” Vinijtrongjit said. “We are also not allowed to work off-campus and are only limited to 20 hours per week for an on-campus job averaging $8 an hour.”

The Regents also passed resolutions authorizing a $40 million addition to Grainger Hall, $28.4 million for a UW-River Falls student union, constructing a parking ramp on the UW-Madison campus and leasing the UW-Madison School Department of Physiology, among others.

UW System President Katharine Lyall spoke to the Board, saying although she will be retiring by Sept 1, 2004, she will give 150 percent to her job in the next six months. Lyall explained that the UW System budget for 2005-’07 must be turned over to the Department of Administration in September, which leaves the Board five more meetings to formulate and review the potential budget.

Lyall also updated the Board on happenings in the UW System and described various positive events.

UW-Superior has received a $5 million gift, its largest ever, from anonymous donors for the construction of a campus building to replace two older buildings. UW-Eau Claire received a $6 million gift from Col. George L. Simpson, Jr, who was a member of Eau Claire’s first graduating class in 1917 and also the campus’ first football and basketball coach.

UW-Milwaukee business students in the Tax Research course are again volunteering to help low-income persons with their taxes. Last year, the class assisted 500 people.

The Regents went into closed session Friday afternoon to discuss the retiring of Lyall.

“The board delegated the authority to choose a presidential search consultant to Regent President Toby Markovich,” a UW System release said. “No decision has been made yet on a consultant who could assist the UW System in its search for a successor to President Lyall.”

The Board of Regents will meet next on March 4. Lyall said during the Regents meeting that next month they would discuss a possible financial aid initiative.