City considers parking lot, commuter rail

Among the routine topics discussed at the Madison City Transit Commission meeting last night, the possible construction of a parking ramp on West Mifflin and North Fairchild streets and a proposal for a commuter-rail pilot project generated the most debate among commission members.

The parking ramp, which would replace the vacated Alliant Data Center and the old Greyhound bus station on West Mifflin, would also require the destruction of the Silver Dollar Tavern, 117 W. Mifflin St. The reluctance of Silver Dollar owner William Teasdaly to sell his establishment in the past concerned some of the commission members.

Ald. Gary Poulson, District 20, argued that the research conducted by the commission proves the proposed location would be the only option.

“We have reviewed many possible sites,” Poulson said. “With such a limited area, this is the best spot possible.”

With Poulson’s backing, the resolution passed.

The parking ramp will cost the city an estimated $8 million and will accommodate visitors to the Overture Center and the Madison Public Library.

The proposed commuter-rail train, nicknamed University Express, would operate along a single route, from U.S. Highway 12/14 to the downtown campus area. The relatively small project is considered a predecessor to the extensive commuter-rail project proposed by the Transport 2020 committee.

“This project would help begin Transport 2020,” committee member David Trowbridge said. “The local support we would receive for this project will help us when it comes time to ask for financial support from the federal government for Transport 2020.”

The fact that the University Express would be funded by local and state contributions without the help of the federal government had some commission members concerned. The proposed cost of production and maintenance per train seat would be $150,000.

“The cost for a project like this is ridiculous,” commission member Peter Quigly said. “Why not invest the money in buses to improve the quality of transportation that we already have?”

University Express advocate Catherine Debo was unable to answer commission members’ questions about the safety of railroad crossings and the possibility trains would interfere with bus routes.

Also discussed at the meeting was increased Madison Metro bus use by UW students and faculty. Commission members speculated that the increase might be due to students saving money by renting apartments farther from campus and then using the free bus service to commute. In order to compensate for the increased bus use, commission members discussed improving bus routes and purchasing more buses.