Court hearings proceed in caucus scandal

Wisconsin’s once squeaky clean political history is now starting to look like something out of the Nixon era. Former Senate Majority Leader Chuck Chvala, D-Madison, Assembly Speaker Scott Jensen, R-Brookfield, and Assembly Majority Leader Steve Foti, R-Oconomowoc, made their initial appearance in Dane Country Court Thursday on felony charges filed last week relating to the caucus scandal.

Also appearing in court on charges were former Assembly staffer Sherry Schultz and State Rep. Bonnie Ladwig, R-Racine.

Chvala faces up to 90 years in prison on 20 felony counts including extortion and misconduct in office. Jensen faces three felony counts of misconduct in office and Foti and Schultz were each charged with one felony.

The investigation into whether lawmakers and their legislative aides campaigned on state time has been going on for the past year.

The matter has received additional attention because of lawmakers’ decisions to use state money to pay for legal fees of those being investigated.

State law dictates that legal payments for state employees are only to be repaid if the employee is found to be innocent. Taxpayers have taken the brunt of the $700,000 in legal fees from the investigation.

Some state lawmakers see the scandals as a chance to change the state’s political mood.

“I think there is a whole package of things that lead to a mood of change,” said newly appointed Assembly Minority Leader Spencer Black, D-Madison, in an interview with Wispolitics.com. “The scandal and possible indictments — there have been none, but by the time this gets published that may change — adds to an atmosphere that something is wrong and that a change is needed in the state Capitol.”

The next phase for Chvala is a preliminary hearing with Judge Daniel Moeser, which could occur sometime in December.

Until then, Chvala will retain his Senate seat but will not hold the title of Senate Majority Leader. The preliminary hearing for Jensen, Foti, Ladwig and Schultz should take place around Nov. 12 and will also be heard by Judge Moeser.

Jensen and Chvala both previously lashed out at Dane County District Attorney Brian Blanchard for his timing in filing charges. Jensen said the timing of the charges is a political tactic intended to disrupt the Nov. 5 elections.

“It appears that the timing of these charges has been blatantly and cynically manipulated for maximum political effect and not driven by any necessity of law,” Jensen said in a statement.