Birthright program offers free trips to Israel

Two years ago, 100,000 Jewish students were the first recipients of a free trip to the home of their ancestors; the result of that fulfilled vision is the Birthright Israel Program.

Since the program’s inception in 2000, over 30,000 Jews have experienced the trip that one program participant said has “enormous implications for the future of the Jewish people.”

The program’s goal is to diminish the growing division between Israel and Jewish communities around the world, strengthen the relationship between Israeli youth and Jewish communities, and to increase the number of return visits to Israel.

Not just anyone can take part in a Birthright trip. Those wishing to experience Israel must be young Jewish adults, ages 18 to 26, post-high school, who have not before traveled to Israel on a peer educational trip.

Rabbi Michael Melchoir, deputy minister of foreign affairs for Israel and chair for the Birthright Israel steering committee, said despite the recent increase in violence in Israel, the program is as strong as ever.

“During this time, we didn’t anticipate that we would have the Intifada and all the violence in this area, but out of the 32,000 students, 24,000 have come during the period of the Intifada,” Melchoir said. “Even this past summer when we had the peak in the violence, a peak that I hope is behind us, we had 5,000 students come. I’m really proud of this because it shows that there is a future for the Jewish people.”

Melchoir said the strength of the program could be largely attributed to word of mouth.

“We have research of practically every student who has been on this [trip],” Melchoir said. “They all testify this has been the most meaningful experience of their lives, and for many of them it has reconnected them to their Jewish identity.”

Allison Burck, a University of Wisconsin student who went on a Birthright trip, said she would recommend the program to anyone who is eligible.

“It’s scary, but if you just go, it will be an unbelievable experience,” Burck said.

The sites visited by Burck included the western wall, an archaeological dig and Jerusalem, among others.

“We went to a military cemetery where everyone in the military, regardless of rank, is buried under the same headstone, because they are very into equality,” Burck said. “We could see the West Bank, and it was interesting to see how close they were. Some people would say, ‘That village over there is a Palestinian village.'”

Burck traveled during the winter session of the Birthright program, a session where applications were down significantly because of the increasing violence.

“Two years ago there were over 80 students and 285 applications,” said Matt Cantor, a program assistant for Hillel at UW. “Last year only 12 people went in the winter because of the political situation.”

Cantor said the Israeli government goes to extraordinary lengths to keep Birthright travelers safe.

“In the two years since the program has started, not one person has died or been injured,” Melchoir said.

Coordinators receive assistance from the Israeli government in the form of two soldiers who travel with the groups. Itineraries are also constantly revised to avoid danger.

Melchoir addressed the issue of divestment towards Israel on college campuses and said the Birthright program was an appropriate way to counteract those arguments.

EarthRights International defines divestment as institutional groups withdrawing financial support in companies in order to encourage a change in corporate behavior or policy. Similarly, college campuses are withdrawing their support from Israel to encourage them toward an apartheid state, Melchoir said.
“I know that this is a growing issue on different campuses, and I think that the Birthright program is a good outlet for those who want to turn people away from Israel, who want to immunize Israel and turn them into a new apartheid state,” Melchoir said. “It’s not just a Jewish issue. I think it’s an issue for everybody that believes in democracy, and that doesn’t mean you have to agree with everything Israel is doing. Our situation is very complex; we have good questions and not always the right answers.”
Those interested in the Birthright program can attend an informational meeting Tuesday, Oct. 15 at 7 p.m. at 611 Langdon St.