Journalists take a verbal and sometimes physical beating

Last week Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl was brutally murdered for nothing more than searching for information — his job. This is an extreme case; U.S. reporters are typically treated with the utmost respect, at least in their own country.

The United States holds the freedom of the press in high regard, but while this freedom is always respected, it seems political officials may be getting irritated with the public watchdog.

After a television interview Tuesday, Gov. Scott McCallum, the highest elected official in the state, let his mouth slip and his frustration show.

“Thank you. Sure. Thank you. Dumb son-of-a-bitch,” McCallum said while reaching for his earpiece.

Apparently the reporter had been questioning McCallum about the budget deficit and how it would be dealt with, and McCallum got upset. He told the reporter he must have incorrect information and he should address city officials.

This is a perfectly legitimate request. If McCallum felt the information the reporter acquired was incorrect, he has the right to suggest a different course of action. Instead, he seems to have forgotten he is an elected official and expressed his true opinion.

The budget deficit is receiving extensive coverage. The governor may be sick of answering accusatory questions about his plan, but it is his job, and it is the job of the reporter to ask.

Debbie Monterrey-Millett, spokesperson for McCallum, said after all, the governor is “only human,” insinuating everyone slips up, and she regretted it was such a big story. It may be only one incident with McCallum — but it isn’t isolated.

Last year, Steve Bass, the pressperson for Speaker Scott Jensen, R-Waukesha, showed his anger when he roughed up a reporter.

Then there is Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura, whose distaste for the press is common knowledge. He fondly refers to the media as “jackals.” At one point, he proposed the capital press corps wear credentials so he could easily identify them as “official jackals.”

The credentials featured a full body photo of The Body wagging his finger at the camera. The corner of the badge had the reporter’s name along with the title “official jackal.”

He later rescinded this request but hasn’t really let up on reporters. At the first press conference after taking back his order to wear credentials, Ventura playfully (or perhaps seriously) exchanged barbs with the press.

“By the way, I noticed that only a few people are wearing their credentials today. Congratulations for having a sense of humor — for those that do — and to those that don’t, go stick your head in the mud.” Ventura said.

Although McCallum hasn’t publicly denounced reporters as frequently as Ventura, his statement Tuesday may have irreparably damaged his reputation.

One would think the most prominent politician in the world, President Bush, would know how to hold his tongue, but apparently he does not. After a campaign speech, Bush referred to a New York Times reporter as “a major league asshole.” Bush, who later apologized for the gaffe, had assumed his microphone was turned off.
These are examples of verbal abuse, but the abuse goes much further. Not every country has laws protecting the press, and incidents like Pearl’s occur frequently. In late November, Taliban officials offered $50,000 to anyone who would kill a Western journalist. These things don’t happen in the United States because of the constitution, but the press still takes a beating from politicians, actors and anyone upset with the incessant questioning of reporters — but they still have a job to do.