Join the Taliban, see the world

Aside from being a Taliban fighter and al Qaeda member, John Walker Lindh appears to have been pretty typical 20-year-old.

The difference between Walker and the average 20-year-old is he believed so strongly in his cause that turned against the United States and may have even fired upon American soldiers.

Walker’s parents say he is a good kid, and some defend his actions because he believes strongly in a cause.

Despite Walker’s strong beliefs, Attorney General John Ashcroft said Walker must be treated equally to any other person attempting to harm the United States or its citizens.

“We have not overlooked attacks on America when they were made by foreign nations,” Ashcroft said. “We cannot overlook attacks on America when they come from U.S. citizens.”

Walker makes his initial court appearance this morning facing charges of conspiracy to kill U.S. nationals abroad, providing material or resources to terrorists and engaging in transactions with the Taliban. These offenses are punishable by up to life in prison.

The U.S. government did not charge Walker with treason, which could have warranted the death penalty. This seeming lessening of the punishment needs explanation.

Walker is a mere 20 years old, and although he committed an atrocious crime against the United States he most likely will not receive the harshest sentence punishable by law. If new evidence is uncovered, the government may consider charging Walker with treason, Ashcroft said. At this time the focus of the trial will remain the three charges, without a mention of treason or the death penalty.

Walker obviously holds a strong anti-American sentiment: he is young, and typically the young experiment with various ideologies before settling firmly in one. Walker seems to have been so steadfastly entrenched in his ideology that nothing phased him.

Walker’s parents portray him as young and innocent; he was only experimenting and attempting to find himself.

College students wrestle with political beliefs and have the same sentiments Walker did, but do not necessarily take it to the extent he did. Students on this campus tend to be fairly strong in their beliefs. UW-Madison is one of the top 10 schools for campus activism in the nation. These strong beliefs prompt letters to the editor, heated debates and sometimes protests, but even the most opinionated activist here would not be expected to take their beliefs as far as Walker did.

Even if some students let their beliefs fall by the wayside, they are experimenting with new ideas. Although experimentation is common with young people, Ashcroft said this experimentation is not an excuse for harmful actions.

“We may never know why he turned his back on our country and our values, but we cannot ignore that he did. Youth is not absolution for treachery, and personal self-discovery is not an excuse to take up arms against one’s country,” he said.

Although in Ashcroft’s eyes, youthfulness is not an excuse for turning against one’s country, in this case, it seems to have assisted in preventing the death penalty.

Maybe Walker won’t be charged with treason because he is young and impressionable — or at least he is supposed to be young and impressionable. Walker made his own decisions, he followed his own beliefs and now he is facing a punishment crafted for a deserter of the United States and for a youthful offender.

“Terrorists did not compel John Walker Lindh to join them. John Walker Lindh chose terrorists,” Ashcroft said.