Falk addresses College Democrats

Gubernatorial candidate Kathleen Falk appeared before the UW-Madison College Democrats at their meeting Tuesday evening.

Falk announced her candidacy during the summer and has begun her campaign with stops in various cities throughout Wisconsin. The College Democrats invited Falk in an effort to educate their members about the possible candidates for the 2002 gubernatorial race.

“We think it’s important that the students know who is running and give them a chance to meet the candidates and talk to them and ask them questions so they can see who they support,” College Democrats treasurer Steven Singh said.

Falk has been Dane County Executive for five years, and in that time has concentrated on education. College Democrat Vice Chair Taylor Patterson said Falk’s involvement in student affairs led them to choose her as the first presenter.

“Generally, she has been really available, she has always been a promoter of student activity within [College Democrats] and student government here,” Patterson said. “She has a son close in age to most of us students, so she sort of understands where we are and what we are trying to get done here. So we thought she would be an appropriate person to have as our first candidate.”

Falk’s campaign stop at the meeting was prompted by her invitation; however, being a UW law school graduate, Falk said she always enjoys coming back.

Education is one of the major parts of Falk’s platform, and she voiced the necessity of all education from elementary school to later in life.

Falk said Wisconsin’s schools, at both primary and secondary levels, deserve attention.

“Right now our priorities are wrong,” Falk said. “The Department of Public Instruction said right now about half the kids who start high school in Milwaukee don’t graduate. I want to change those problems.”

In the 2001-2003 biennium budget, Gov. Scott McCallum used his veto power to increase UW tuition even more than was proposed by the legislature. Falk held this action in disdain, calling it an inappropriate action.

“I think that is an abuse of his veto power,” Falk said. “I have a broader veto power than the governor and I have never exercised my veto power in that manner.”

Falk said students, along with education, are important to her.

“Reaching out to students is a real important part of why I am running for public office, why I am running for governor,” Falk said. “I want to make sure our education system has all that our students need, not only when you are college age, but later in life when you want to go back and retool or learn a new skill.”

Falk cited her position as Dane County executive as a qualification for governor.

“I ran in a crowded file of men, four of whom held political office. I was a political newcomer and I won both the primary and the election,” Falk said. “I am responsible for a $380 million budget a year, and I am responsible for 2,000 employees everyday.”

Falk ended her presentation with a call for support and voiced her dedication to her constituents.

“I ask you for your support, I will work hard to try to gain your support, and if you elect me, I will work even harder to keep your trust,” she said.

The College Democrats are currently attempting to set dates for other Democratic gubernatorial candidates to speak.