Taqueria el Pastor

Taqueria El Pastor, or “The Shepard’s Taco Place” in Spanish, is a family-run restaurant that opened five years ago. It is located on 2010 S. Park St. and is a bit of a drive, so students may want to get a bus pass or find a ride. This authentic Mexican restaurant is complete with a bar full of Mexican drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and Spanish paintings and artwork spread over all the walls.

Taqueria El Pastor is owned by Maria Jiminez, who was visiting Mexico upon press time, but manager Luis Ruiz still provided his considerable knowledge of the restaurant business. Ruiz moved to the United States nine years ago, but he’s been in the restaurant business for almost 20 years working everywhere from the Sheraton to El Taco Loco.

“It takes a lot of hard work,” Ruiz said of running around from restaurant to restaurant.

The food at Taqueria El Pastor was exceptional, and you get substantial portions for the price. Taqueria El Pastor is famous for its $1.50 tacos and its margaritas. There were quite a few recommendations for El Pastor’s margaritas.

“People go to Mexican restaurants to get Mexican margaritas,” Ruiz said. These margaritas are made from scratch.

The chips and salsa are free and good for those who enjoy more spicy “appetizers.” The chimichangas ($7) are gigantic and packed full of your choice of meat (pork, steak, chicken or Mexican sausage), onions and cheese and cooked to perfection with a side of sour cream and lettuce. The enchiladas ($7.50) come smothered in a zesty green sauce, and all dishes come with a side of rice or beans.

If you want to practice your Spanish, this is the place. This restaurant is unique in the fact that everyone there speaks Spanish — the waiters, the cashiers and even the customers. The traditional Spanish service instills in customers an air of peace and the restaurant itself is no different; the server only comes to give the customer their food and if something is needed. However, make sure you pay at the exit because bills are not delivered to the tables.

Taqueria El Pastor gives you large portions for a small price and is worth the drive. If you are looking for authentic Mexican food and drinks, Taqueria El Pastor is the place to go.
4 stars out of 5