Best Grocer: Woodman’s

[media-credit name=’SUNDEEP MALLADI/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]IMG_1542-SM[/media-credit]It is hard to pinpoint the best part about Woodman's. Is it the fact that you can go there at 4 a.m. in leopard-print pajamas and rollers in your hair and fit in? Is it the monstrous size of the building, which can induce both panic attacks and shrieks of glee?

One thing is certain, however: Woodman's unsurpassed selection is what keeps grocery shoppers in the Madison area coming back — any time, day or night.

Whether they are looking to concoct a gourmet feast or just get supplies for their weekly lunches, customers can find any culinary item they need, if they can master the store's labyrinthine aisles. I am pretty sure some of the missing children you see on those signs could probably be found somewhere in the dairy section at Woodman's; their parents just forgot to leave a trail of breadcrumbs leading to the freezer section.

Woodman's offers such a variety of foods and range of quality and prices that pinch-pennies and discriminating organic shoppers alike will be left satisfied.

Copps on University Avenue came in a close second in the fight for the Best Grocer, and it does provide a plethora of foods; however, the selection at Copps is notably dwarfed by Woodman's. With a more updated look and a floor plan that actually follows the laws of logic, Copps provides a great alternative for students looking to stock up on everyday necessities. But they may find that some of the shelves are empty or that the store just doesn't carry the broad range of Bagels Forever goodness, which is why the venture to Woodman's on the near east or west side is worth the trip.

Woodman’s: 509 votes

Copps (University Avenue): 504 votes