Uprising in Iran: A note on pronunciation.

There’s a little pet peeve I have for the networks covering the Iranian protests of the election that doesn’t involve twitter. As much as I’d love to delve into that controversy revolving around CNN, I will save that for a later post after I’ve thought about the criticisms a little more.?

But I’ll tell you one thing that pisses me off: Mispronunciation of the names involved.

Now the mispronunciation of Mir Hossein Mousavi (that’s moo-sah-VEE, not moo-SAH-vee) is fairly understandable because it’s a slight emphasis elsewhere and a bit unconventional for your average American in standard 24-hour news cycles. You might actually get it right once in awhile, but as you’re speeding through tele-prompters and twitter-facebook feeds, you might flub it.

I’m a little less forgiving for the butchering of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.?

Come on. I know it’s a little unwieldy, but you’ve had four years to get this right. And yet I still hear MSNBC reporters calling him “Achmach-Ach-may-Jad.” That’s pretty unforgivable. I guess McCain screws that one up too, but that’s not really an excuse.

But there’s one mispronounced name that actually is not only annoying but problematic for teaching Americans the history of what’s going on in Iran.

Supreme Leader Khamenei.?

KAH-Meh-Nay. Not “Ka-MAY-Nee.”

Why does it matter??

Because the last supreme leader was Ayatollah Khomeini. Ko-MAY-Nee.

Now, maybe this is quibbling, but the two pronunciations can easily confuse the two if done wrong.?

Right pronunciation distinguished between the two.

Wrong pronunciation can make those whose only knowledge of Iran comes from the Simpsons think this is the same guy from the 70s, just with a grayer beard.

Now, scoff if you want and say that the American public isn’t that dumb and the confusion isn’t the problematic considering that it’s just the same brand of Islamic dictator. But considering the fact that the populace under Khomeini bought into the idea of America as “The Great Satan” and the populace under Khamenei doesn’t exactly share those sentiments wholesale, it’s important that the American public recognize that.?

Just consider the Jason Jones segment the Daily Show did last night. Raise your hand if before you saw the election snafu or this segment you thought the Iranians were in the same league as Iraq and Afghanistan as far as what most Americans think of as “that crazy, neverending bullshit in the Middle Easy.” I’m willing to bet a lot of people did. And I’m sure a lot of people were surprised to see the citizens of a major “Axis of Evil” participant shaking off the notion of hating America. Sure, some Iranians do want us to burn. But then again, we have people in this country who bomb abortion clinics and still call Koreans “Chinamen.” Doesn’t mean they represent our country as a whole. And considering the median age of Iran’s population hovers somewhere around 26 (Sidenote: check out this article as to why that is), this is our chance to make a better impression of ourselves with a new Iranian generation.

And while one name’s pronunciation may seem like a silly suggestion for a mental link to the same cultural sentiment as 30 years ago, if doesn’t take much for prejudices to ferment.?

So please, the next time you see a Fox News anchor, or CNN talking head or any other person start talking about “Ka-may-nee”…take the time to correct the image in your head.?

Different Guy. Different pronunciation. Same regime, but different times.