Sauer named assistant coach for 2003 U.S. National Junior Team

MADISON, Wis. — Jeff Sauer, the all-time leader in Western Collegiate Hockey Association victories, all-time winningest head coach at the University of Wisconsin and the fourth-winningest coach in college hockey history, was named assistant coach for the 2003 U.S. National Junior Team. The team will compete in Sydney and Halifax, Nova Scotia, at the 2003 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship from Dec. 26, 2002-Jan. 5, 2003.

Sauer will be assisting head coach Lou Vairo (Colorado Springs, Colo.) and will be joined by Mike Hastings (Crookston, Minn.) and Ron Rolston (Fenton, Mich.), who were also tabbed as assistant coaches. Also joining the staff is Stan Wong (Boca Raton, Fla.) who will serve as the team’s athletic trainer. Jim Dunn (Long Lake, Minn.) will act as the team’s equipment manager and Dr. Mike Stuart (Rochester, Minn.) will join the staff as the team physician.

Sauer retired last season from his position as head coach of the men’s hockey program after 20 years, compiling a record of 489-306-46. His overall record stands at 655-532-57 over 31 years of coaching in the WCHA. During his reign at UW, Sauer led the Badgers to two national titles, two regular season and five WCHA playoff championships and 11 NCAA appearances.

Seventeen Badgers have earned all-America honors while playing for Sauer, including nine first-team selections. Additionally, 13 of Sauer’s former Badgers have participated in Olympic competition. Over 30 of Sauer’s former players have seen action in the NHL.

Sauer has also coached American teams in numerous international competitions, including a runner-up finish in the 1990 Goodwill Games and an appearance in the medal round at the 1995 World Championships in Sweden.

–compiled from staff reports