Best Peanut Butter Cookies

Peanut Butter Cookies

I adore peanut butter cookies. I have made no less than 10 different variations on the classic peanut butter cookie, but none of my innovations can beat the classic Demet family recipe for peanut butter kisses.

If you’ve never tried your hand at baking before, these are the cookies for you. Made with only three ingredients and spruced up with a variety of add-ons, these cookies can be whipped together in a moment’s notice. They come in handy at the end of stressful days, when the best solution might be the old childhood favorite–milk and cookies. With this recipe in hand, you won’t have to wait on that care package from home for your chance to indulge yourself with a delectable treat.

The cookie dough consists of three ingredients blended together: one cup white granulated sugar, one cup peanut butter (I like Smucker’s Natural Creamy Peanut Butter, but any brand will do), and one egg. Mix on medium speed until the dough is firm, and shape into balls a half inch in diameter. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for roughly 10 minutes. When the cookies are done, they will be a light golden color, slightly puffed up and perhaps cracking along the edges.

These cookies are made even more delicious when topped with Hershey’s Kisses or Hugs, halved Milk or Dark Dove Chocolates or even M&M’s. With regard to toppings, it really depends on your own personal preference.

The finished treat is dense, has a rich peanut butter flavor and a soft yet granulated texture. My advice is to eat them while they’re fresh out of the oven.

These cookies make a great holiday dessert, homemade gift, or an anytime treat. I often spoil my colleagues at The Badger Herald with these.