Terrace to open for graduating seniors

Memorial Terrace will temporarily open for graduation, May 12-15
Herald archives

Memorial Union Terrace is temporarily opening to allow University of Wisconsin seniors to get one last taste of the terrace during commencement weekend.

Graduating seniors and their families will be able to enjoy the terrace May 12-15, as the majority of the terrace will open for a preview throughout graduation weekend before the terrace is expected to officially open May 20.

The Terrace will open — in May

Graduates are welcomed to meet at the North Park Street entrance to participate in the tradition of the returning terrace chairs on May 12 — students can help place the chairs on the terrace at 3:30 p.m., according to Wisconsin Union statement.

Wisconsin Union spokesperson Shauna Breneman said although it’s really a weekend geared toward UW graduates all UW members, students and alumni, are always welcome.

Students will also be able to access the Brat Stand located near the Union Theatre, but the other concession stand on the east side of the terrace will remain closed, Breneman said. Der Stiftskeller and the Paul Bunyon Room, however, will both be open to serve food and beverage items.

“When we closed the terrace in September, we said the terrace would reopen during the summer, but it was always our hope we would have the terrace open for commencement weekend,” Breneman said.

Although most of the terrace will be open, one section of the terrace in front of the Rathskeller will remain closed for further construction. The terrace will close again May 15 at midnight to continue construction.

Remaining portions of the first floor of the Memorial Union are expected to open fall of 2016, and the second, third and fourth will open fall 2017, according to the statement.