Budget repair to pass today

[media-credit name=’SUNDEEP MALLADI/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]BudgetBill-SM[/media-credit]Legislative leaders expect to wrap up the state's current operating budget by approving the budget repair bill today, which effectively reallocates remaining funds until the 2007-09 budget takes effect this July.

Among the funding shifts is an approval for 31 new State Crime Laboratory analysts to help eliminate the estimated 1,800-case backlog. The backlog was created over several years largely because of an increased use of DNA evidence in criminal investigations.

The Legislature's budget committee approved the repair bill two weeks ago 16-0 as part of bipartisan compromise.

"It'll probably move quickly through the Houses," said Bob Delaporte, a spokesperson for Assembly Speaker Mike Huebsch, R-West Salem. "There will be some members who propose an amendment or two."

But Delaporte and others seem to agree that proposed amendments may not go very far because the bill is already the result of a representative compromise.

"We feel that there was a deal made in the Joint Finance Committee between eight Democrats and eight Republicans," said an Assembly Democrat aide, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "It's not necessarily going to be an open and shut case [today]. It could be a long day."

State Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, said last week that he will propose several amendments and other Republican members have made similar promises in the Senate.

"There will be debate on it," said Mike Prentiss, a spokesperson for Senate Minority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau. "There are several members of our caucus who have problems with some of the fund transfers."

Despite some possible changes, legislative leaders still expect the budget to pass. And if different versions are approved by the two houses, the bill may go to a conference committee for compromise.

Also on the agenda

Delaporte said the Republican-controlled Assembly will push today to pass the so-called sick leave bill, which would eliminate a retirement benefit for some public elected officials including legislators, district attorneys and judges.

The bill will have to pass unanimous consent to go to vote — otherwise it may reach the floor this Thursday. The approval would be more symbolic than anything because Senate Democrats have vowed to kill the legislation if it reaches their floor.

Reaching the Senate floor tomorrow will be 22 Gov. Jim Doyle appointees, including the semi-contended re-appointment of Department of Transportation Secretary Frank Busalacchi.

Republican senators want Busalacchi to be returned to committee in lieu of the FBI's indictment of Doyle's largest campaign donor, Dennis Troha, who worked with DOT officials to resolve a tax dispute with five other states.

"It's certainly something that's been in the news a lot," Prentiss said. "It's fair and logical to put on the brake and return it to public hearing … so people can ask what's going on at the DOT."

Senate President Fred Risser, D-Madison, said Busalacchi — who has not been officially accused of any illegal activity — will remain on today's floor agenda.

"I think the committee supported him unanimously," Risser said. "So unless some new evidence develops, I expect him to be confirmed."