UW band to play pre- and post-game Music City Bowl

Music City Bowl organizers have compromised to allow the University of Wisconsin Marching Band to play in the pre-and post-game festivities.

Originally, bowl staff had planned to present trophies to Nashville Youth Sports Leagues during both halftime and pre-game, but they shifted plans after a myriad of complaints reached bowl organizers.

Band director Michael Leckrone has asked UW fans to stop sending harassing e-mails to Nashville and criticized the “unsportsmanlike” conduct.

“Though I appreciate how passionately the community supports the band, our fans’ reaction is becoming a distraction for band members and those who are working hard to make the game a great experience for all fans,” Leckrone said in a statement, adding that the new schedule, which allows only the Auburn Tigers’ band to play during halftime, is fair.

The UW band will perform its halftime show before the game and return after the game for the traditional Fifth Quarter.

UW senior Kellen Hassell, first chair trumpet in the band, said Leckrone told the band that the controversy over halftime has put a microscope on UW fans’ behavior at the bowl game.

“In ’93 or ’94 the student section passed out newspapers during the other band,” Hassell said. “I think [Leckrone] was trying to douse any fires before they start.”

UW sophomore Ellen Skorpinski, a trombone player, said despite the new opportunities to perform, she is disappointed the band will not play during halftime.

“I don’t think that it makes up for it, but I am very happy that we at least get to show them what we are about,” Skorpinski said.

Hassell also expressed relief that the band could perform at the game.

“We didn’t practice out in the snow today to play on Second Avenue,” Hassell said.