Adams clowns around Orpheum

Dr. Hunter “Patch” Adams shared his past and clowned around with UW-Madison students at the Orpheum Theater Monday night. In his speech, Adams urged students to reevaluate their way of life and encouraged political activity as a way to recreate a sense of community.

Adams, who said he hoped to have a strong impact on the crowd, has brightened the lives of many, including UW medical student Kristen Greene.

Adams became well known in 1998, when Robin Williams starred in the film “Patch Adams.” Just as in the movie, Adams is a colorful man. Decked out in a multicolored shirt and pants, blue hair, a yellow tie and a smile, he pushed for peace, justice and care, and encouraged students to live life without having bad days.

Soon after seeing the film for the first time, Greene wrote Adams to express her disappointment after being rejected by numerous medical schools. As she awaited her rejection letter from the UW Medical School, Adams called Greene and left a message offering a few words of encouragement and promised that he would write a response to her letter the next day.

A few days later, Greene received Adams’ response and framed it on the wall as inspiration. They have kept in touch ever since, but Monday marked their first meeting.

“Patch is truly a global wonder,” Greene said.

Since 1971, Adams has served as director of the Gesundheit! Institute, a free hospital in West Virginia, where Adams has led his unconventional movement of combining humor with traditional medicine.

“I loved fun, being loved by patients, and I loved my patients,” Adams said. “I am a clown that is a doctor, not a doctor that is a clown.”

Adams said he travels most of the year around the globe spreading his cheer for community. Each year Adams tours the globe for 300 days to spread his message and raise money to expand his vision. Although he admitted he is not a great fundraiser, he announced plans to expand the institute this year.

The institute does not charge its patients, so funding often has been an obstacle, especially before the film.

But that does not worry the free-spirited Adams.

“Although I have not collected a lot of money, I have collected a lot of buddies,” Adams said.

Adams has also experienced difficulty finding room in his free hospital. A typical scene in the bathroom consists of “one in the tub, one on the toilet, two using the sink and a couple of people hanging out,” Adams said. “I loved it.”

Adams admitted to using medicine as a gimmick, saying his hospital is really a “University of Human Culture.”

Through letters and phone calls, Greene and Adams have shared their ideas on medicine. According to Greene, in order for health care to improve, “We need a strong and enthusiastic spirit.” Adams said he believes he has added the right touch of humor to the prescription.

Adams’ speech was part of the Distinguished Lecture Series presented by the Wisconsin Union Directorate. Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel is set to speak today at 7:30.